Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have just picked up an Omen 45l which comes with 32Gb of DDR4-3733 memory.

When checking the performance it says the max speed is 3200.

The memory sticks have 3733Mhz on them, but wonder why the max speed is 3200. Is this HP clocking them down?

I have spoken to HP and all they could offer is a replacement unit, which is a little over the top.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mark:

Below is the link to the Intel processor specs for your model PC:

Intel® Core™ i9-12900K Processor

On motherboards that use DDR4 memory, the processor runs at a max speed of 3200 MHz, so even though the memory that HP installed is 'faster,' it automatically bridges to 3200 MHz.

Based on the Intel specs there is nothing wrong with the memory running at 3200 MHz.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The speed the memory runs seems to depend on what processor is installed...

There are many different model variations of the Omen 45L, so I randomly picked this one which shows you the memory info.

OMEN by HP 45L GT22-0002d Desktop PC product specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Although there are different specs for the 45L I did supply my serial number early in the call and I'm only talking about this version.. https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=59A45EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP&_gl=1*fpo53k*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj...

My serial number is: 8GCG2112R77 which is a GT22-0007na

According to the link, the memory is defined as "HyperX 32 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (2 x 16 GB)" and a memory note of "Transfer rates up to 3733 MT/s."

Looking at the HP Hardware Diagnostics tool it says "Maximum Memory Speed 3200Mhz" whereas I would have expected "3733".

My question is :

why according to the advert does it says the RAM will work at 3733, but the machine I have been delivered says 3200

Thank you

Mark

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mark:

Below is the link to the Intel processor specs for your model PC:

Intel® Core™ i9-12900K Processor

On motherboards that use DDR4 memory, the processor runs at a max speed of 3200 MHz, so even though the memory that HP installed is 'faster,' it automatically bridges to 3200 MHz.

Based on the Intel specs there is nothing wrong with the memory running at 3200 MHz.

HP Recommended

Paul

Ok, that makes sense and I learned something.

It seems odd to boast about the performance of the memory, yet under the covers, you'd never be able to reach that because other components constrain the performance.

Have a great day

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I agree with you.

On your model, HP should have used a motherboard that supported the DDR5-4800 memory, so the processor could run at its full potential.

I have two older HP business class PC's where HP installed processors that run at 1333 MHz, but the memory only ran at 800 MHz (DDR2), or 1066 MHz (DDR3).

Kind of a bottleneck the opposite way yours is.

You have a great day too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.