Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq SG3-110UK
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

Please can anyone advise me, my G daughters Computer (HP Compaq I think it is this model SG3-110UK) has a failed hard drive.

The Serial No is  [personal information removed]

Product No XC831EA#ABU

Model No SG3-110UK

I have a replacement hard drive on order, please can anyone assist me with information how I can get the download software drivers for me to reinstall Windows and all the drivers need. It is her UNI work PC and we are quite desperate

Any help is very appreciated we are in the UK 

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Can you help with the location of the DVD/CD Rom drivers for my model ?

Every Microsoft operating system since Windows 2000 automatically includes the device-driver software for CD/DVD devices.  So, there exists no other location for any device-drivers.

Is the media in CD-format, or in DVD-format?

Can the media be read when you put it into a different computer?

If it is a music CD-ROM, does it play in the CD-player in your automobile?

When you close the tray, do you hear the media "spin" ?

Does a lamp on the front panel of the CD/DVD "blink" as soon as the tray is closed?

Can any media be read in your CD/DVD device?

When you run that SPECCY program, does it show the details about the CD/DVD device?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I looked at: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-sg3-100-desktop-pc-series/4169543/model/4229...

but did not see any option to purchase from HP/Compaq a "System Recovery Set" for Windows 7.

Try searching:   www.ComputerSurgeons.com

to see if they have that "set" for sale.

HP Recommended

mdklassen, thank you for your response.

I had found and tried support.hp.com and it won't accept the Windows 7 OS info, so it seems are no drivers available.

Also tried ComputerSurgeon and cannot find anything. So Hard Drives fails and no chance of downloadable drivers to install on my replacement HD which is on the way to me.

Dear me a sad situation

Many thanks though for your input

Regards

Alan M 

HP Recommended

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-sg3-100-desktop-pc-series/4169543/model/4229...

> I had found and tried support.hp.com and it won't accept the Windows 7 OS info, so it seems are no drivers available.

The URL that I cited does contain device-drivers that will be needed after you install the "retail" version of Windows 7 onto your computer, instead of installing the HP-modified version of Windows 7.

> and no chance of downloadable drivers to install on my replacement HD which is on the way to me.

If it is being shipped from HP, they may include a USB memory-stick that contains the HP-modified version of Windows 7.

Or, if you take your computer to a qualifed computer technician, they should have their own "retail" Windows 7 DVD, which they can use, together with your 25-character product-key on the decal on the side of your computer, and together with those device-drivers from HP's web-site, to reinstall Windows 7.

So, not yet 100% "sad".

HP Recommended

Hi MdKlassen, Thanks for your further help.

I have purchased a refurbished HD from eBay, the supplier has enclosed a windows 7 disc for me to use with our 25 -character Product key. So I should be able to get Windows working.

But what about all the drivers needed for the WiFi, sound graphics and any other driver that I'm not aware of ..???

Worried this may be a fruitless effort on my behalf

Regards

Alan

HP Recommended

> What about all the drivers needed for the WiFi, sound graphics and any other driver that I'm not aware of ..???

To repeat, I looked at:  

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-sg3-100-desktop-pc-series/4169543/model/4229...

and found device-drivers, but no way to place an order with HP for a replacement "System Restore Set".

Also, install & run the "HP Support Assistant", and it will identify, download, and install device-drivers.

HP Recommended

Thank You MDKlasse, I appreciate your help.

I followed your link but this time I clicked on the CHANGE button and found the drivers.

Whilst awaiting the refurb HD - I reinstalled the old one and did a Full install to see what would happen and it reinstalled Windows so I can get back into the computer now. But it still shows Small Short Hard Disc  Fail, yet the pc seems to work

Alan

HP Recommended

> But it still shows Small Short Hard Disc  Fail, yet the PC seems to work.

Interpret "fail" to mean "imminent failure".

Compare to driving an old car, with a noisy muffler, broken headlight, balding tires, and fading paint.

The car still (mostly) works, but it's time to replace it, before it fails "at the worst possible time".

Recommendation: make good backups, to be ready for a complete failure of the disk-drive.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.   for what 'S.M.A.R.T.' does -- namely to monitor over 30 points about the "health" of the disk-drive.

Once S.M.A.R.T. "flags" a disk-drive, such as it overheating badly just once, it stays as "bad".

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download/install/run SPECCY, to view all the points that S.M.A.R.T. measures.

HP Recommended

Hi again and thank you for your support

Please can you help with the location of the DVD/CD Rom drivers for my model please..?

The drive door opens using the button... but it won't read disc I load

Regards

Alan

HP Recommended

> Can you help with the location of the DVD/CD Rom drivers for my model ?

Every Microsoft operating system since Windows 2000 automatically includes the device-driver software for CD/DVD devices.  So, there exists no other location for any device-drivers.

Is the media in CD-format, or in DVD-format?

Can the media be read when you put it into a different computer?

If it is a music CD-ROM, does it play in the CD-player in your automobile?

When you close the tray, do you hear the media "spin" ?

Does a lamp on the front panel of the CD/DVD "blink" as soon as the tray is closed?

Can any media be read in your CD/DVD device?

When you run that SPECCY program, does it show the details about the CD/DVD device?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.