Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq 100-200es
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I want to move my old is win 8.1 to a newer computer. I want to move the whole hard drive with the OS and the software included. The problem that I find is that when I start the computer it shows me the BIOS and after that a black screen with a cursor. I cannot access to the safe mode in order to check what happens. And I've tried F8, an external recovery drive and a software to tell the OS that it should start in safe mode. It always show me black screen with cursor.
The newer computer is good enough to to run win 8.1. Any clue??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ivan76

If the Windows installation on the old drive is a preinstalled version from HP, then as @erico indicated, the Windows license for that version stays with the original PC and you can not LEGALLY move that to a different PC.  Retail licenses can be transferred from one PC to another, but OEM licenses (which is what you have with an HP PC) can NOT.

In addiion, the OS version on that drive was configured with drivers for the hardware in that PC.  When Windows starts, it loads those drivers automatically, and if the new PC has different hardware, Windows will not load properly.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your Windows 8.1 license is tied to the PC it was delivered in.  That was part of the license agreement. 

You will need to purchase a license key and perform a clean install to the hard disk on the new PC.

What is the brand and model of newer computer?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
No brand, it's a model built with several components. How can I move that drive and software to the newer computer?
HP Recommended

@Ivan76

If the Windows installation on the old drive is a preinstalled version from HP, then as @erico indicated, the Windows license for that version stays with the original PC and you can not LEGALLY move that to a different PC.  Retail licenses can be transferred from one PC to another, but OEM licenses (which is what you have with an HP PC) can NOT.

In addiion, the OS version on that drive was configured with drivers for the hardware in that PC.  When Windows starts, it loads those drivers automatically, and if the new PC has different hardware, Windows will not load properly.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.