Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a010t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to submit this problem previously and my internet service was down.  So I hope this is not a duplicate submission. 

My computer does not shut down completely. The activity light stays on and I have to hold the on button for several seconds to shut down.

I ran the USB recovery that I made after I got the computer and the problem remains—I need to hold the button to shut down.

One of the remedies for the shutdown problem that I found on line was to uncheck the fast startup box in system settings. I tried this and it did not solve the problem.

Another remedy on line was to go to system service in Device Manager and uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.” in the Intel Management Engine, but the Intel Management Engine is not listed in Device Manager of my computer.

I note another entry in my computer's Device Manager that seems a problem: The Trusted Platform Module has a yellow triangle and Properties says, “A protocol error was detected between the driver and the device.”

I wonder if the USB recovery drive that I made might be faulty, and I am willing to buy the recovery drive from HP, but it is listed as 27-a010t CTO, while my model is 27-a010t without the CTO suffix, which I believe desinates a touch screen model and makes me wonder if it would be correct for my model which is not a touch screen.

Another minor problem is that every day the HP Support Assistant wants me to install the Realtek driver. No matter that it is already installed. This makes me suppose that there is more than one thing wrong and I would like to do an effective recovery.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Alan59

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case and see that you want to order recovery media. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

You can order media from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-27-a000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/10...

Or you can even contact HP Phone support to order media.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

To fix the HP Support Assistant issue, update the HP Support assistant to the latest version.

Refer this HP Document for more assistance: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467905

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What information do you need?   I am eager to furnish whatever you need.  I am looking at recovery as the last resort because Ihave done it twice and the problem remains.  Also, I do womder if the recovery USB from HP will be the right one, since it is listed as 27-a010t CTO, while mine is shown as 27-a010t, without the CTO.  I have located the form to order the USB and the phone service says a charge will be made for phone service, so if the media is correct for my model, I can just order it on the web site.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Alan59, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try the steps recommended below.

1. use windows key+x on your keyboard, to open device manager (you may use other means)
2. Locate system services and expand the trail
3. Locate and right click on "Intel (R) Management Engine Interface" then select Properties (or Just 
double click)
4. Select power management tap
5. And uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
6. Save it and close it.

1. Turn off Fast Startup

2. Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does and click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable" and Uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup"

3.uncheck “Power Management

4. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > System Devices > Intel Management Engine Interface > Power Management and uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” 

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It would help a lot if you would read my original post.  Here is what it said:

"I ran the USB recovery that I made after I got the computer and the problem remains—I need to hold the button to shut down.

One of the remedies for the shutdown problem that I found on line was to uncheck the fast startup box in system settings. I tried this and it did not solve the problem.

Another remedy on line was to go to system service in Device Manager and uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.” in the Intel Management Engine, but the Intel Management Engine is not listed in Device Manager of my computer.

I note another entry in my computer's Device Manager that seems a problem: The Trusted Platform Module has a yellow triangle and Properties says, “A protocol error was detected between the driver and the device.”

I have tried all the remedies that I read on the internet. and I repeat that he Intel Management Engine is not listed in Device Manager of my computer.

Regarding the advice to restore the BIOS,  after pressing F10 on startup the screen ttitled BIOS setup did not appear, but I think that I did navigate to a similarly titled screen and restored the default settings.  I must still press the on button for several seconds to shut down the computer completely.

In case that the USB recovery drive that I made after getting the computer is faulty, can you inform me if the recovery drive sold by HP, which is listed as "27-a010t CTO," is the correct recovery drive for my computer, which is shown on the Support Assistant as "27-a010t," without the CTO suffix.  I do not want to applty the drive if it is not for my model.

HP Recommended

@Alan59, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Since the USB recovery kit, you are using on your PC is faulty.

Please refer this link and order the correct recovery kit for your PC. Link: http://hp.care/2G0NpGE;

Or please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Back again, so soon .  Just after our last exchange the HP Support assistant notified me that I need to update my computer's BIOS.  So now I am here to ask about that.  I did not immediately attempt it.  It may very well be the answer to the problem I have been experiencing, but I read a lot on the internet before proceeding and there were dire precriptions of what might go wrong.  I have rehearsed it by reading HP's articles, and my question is this:

Is it actually done through Windows, using the Support Assistant?

And, should I turn off Windows Defender real time virus protection before updating ?

HP Recommended

@Alan59

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

You do not have to turn off Windows Defender, but you will have to disable BitLocker before updating BIOS.

HP recommends disabling BitLocker before updating the BIOS. If BitLocker is not disabled, the next time you reboot the system it might not recognize the BitLocker key. If you do not know the BitLocker recovery key, you might lose data or have to reinstall the operating system.

Use the following steps to disable or suspend BitLocker before updating the BIOS:

NOTE:

If you cannot see the BitLocker icon, your system adiminstrator might have restrictions in place. Contact your system adiminstrator for help.

1. Search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click System and Security.

Figure : System and Security

System and Security in control panel
  3. Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Figure : BitLocker Drive Encryption

BitLocker drive encryption
  4. Click Suspend protection.

Figure : Suspend protection

Suspend protection
  5. If prompted, click Yes to suspend protection.

Figure : Yes to suspend protection

Yes to suspend protection

BitLocker is now disabled, or suspended. You can now update the BIOS.

After updating the BIOS you can Resume Protection.

Figure : Resume protection

Resume protection

You can refer this HP Document for updating the BIOS: https://hp.care/2w2R6uD

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, mine is HP Envy with same shut down problem.  After reading and following this interesting thread, on Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does?...I chose "Do Nothing". And now shuts down the thing complete.

But, it does not do a complete shut down on re start for updates. 😕 

2018, and still trouble.

HP Recommended

In the end iHP replaced both the motherboard and hard disk in my computer.  It did not work right from the day I got it, but after HP"s repair it worked perfectly and boots in 45seconds.  The folks at HP are busy all the time , so you need to just keep after the problem.  I have kept all the emaisl and the most important one was when the sent a link to download a test application.  Here is that link--

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

When I ran the test it showed that the drive was faulty and led to the return and repair of the computer.

You might call 877-917-4380 and tell them that your problem seems very similar to mine and refer to case number 5012137160.  I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.