Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
all-in-one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After getting the USB flash drive to reinstall to factory conditions I still do not have the recovery partition! How can I get it back?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Did you get the recovery flash drive from HP? This media should include the HP Recovery partition.

I think some newer HP PCs don't have a DVD or USB factory recovery purchase option.

This option seems to be going away as Windows 10 has so many different recovery options.

Your PC may have a HP Cloud Recovery option that includes the HP Recovery partition.

This is all I can tell you.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz (Level 12) Thanks for the info. Will look into. I did order the USB flash drive right from HP. Got it on Saturday, 11/4/20, and ran it. Took all day for it to run as it also wanted to update all the up dates that were missing. I thought I would get a DVD as that's what I have got in the past from HP. Either way is good for me. The HP USB flash drive did not reinstall the recovery partition even though when I had already talked to an HP rep who told me it would reinstall the recovery partition. So much for them knowing what their products do. The rep even went through with me of reinstalling windows, which was very nice of him, before I ordered the flash drive and it still did not recover the partition. He even called me back every few hours to see how it was going because of the time it takes to download. How he told me to do it was the same way I had already done it and of course it didn't work. Will let you know how I make out with looking into the HP Cloud Recovery option. I just wanted first to thank you for your help and hope I can find it. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi Rickb8,

You're very welcome.

You would have to check your PC's HP Software and Download site for a Cloud Recovery option.

HP may provide all software at this site which was included in the factory image. This would remove the need to do a Cloud Recovery or have the HP Recovery partition.

Doing a factory recovery (Cloud or HP Recovery media) means you then have to update Windows from the HP Windows version included in the factory image to the latest Windows version.

I think the HP Recovery partition may no longer be needed.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz (Level 12) I found the recovery tool in the Microsoft store and hopefully I have downloaded it to a USB flash drive. Will wait now to get on the wife's computer to see about running it. It takes a long time so have to wait until she's done using the computer. I am not sure if the recovery partition was on there in the first place but I think it was. Like you say I really don't think I need it because I have the recovery flash drive and I also have a copy of the windows 10 media tool. But both of them did not put the recovery partition back on. My wife's computer is an HP ALL-IN-ONE computer. Some how she got hacked or did something to where I couldn't get back into the computer. I played around for a long time before I was able to get back in and got a new download of windows 10. As that didn't put back on the recovery partition I wanted to try and get something to put it back on. So have tried various ways and am still working on it. LOL I have it back up and running but still want to see if I can get the partition back. Again maybe I will just leave it alone as she probably will do something more to it. She gets on F/B and plays their BINGO BASH game and I think that's where she got the virus or something like that! WOMEN! LOL It took me all day Saturday and night to get all the up dates back on. It is time consuming! LOL Thanks again for your help. If and when I try to run the tool I will make sure to let you know how I make out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.