Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omni 120-1333w Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I know my computer is older (purchased in 2012) but it only gets used for basic simple things now that my daughter is out on her own. The problem is while she was living with me she downloaded tons of stuff on my computer for college and now I can not delete them and it is causing issues. Certain things like notepad when I type something and close and save it to go back into it later, will not reopen saying it is missing things. Almost like some things have been partially deleted etc. I have tried to do a system recover and it is asking me for the disk. My comptuer didnt come with a disk and I didn't know I should of made one or how to do so at the time.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to set my computer back to maunfactures settings like I just bought it. I know I will loose pictures and stuff and that is ok as they atre already on a disk saved but I just want my simple computer back without all these programs that I use not working properly. I would be willing to even buy a disk to do this as I have no issues with the computer itself (meaning runs great, is fast) and I know it hasn't had a virus as I keep windows and stuff up to date, run a protector at all times etc. Tries to contact HP but there is no way to do so and there is no HP shop in this area. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the HP recovery media will put the PC's hard drive to its 'out of the box' condition.

The only thing you will need to do afterward is to get the free upgrade to W8.1 from the Windows Store since the recovery media will be for the original operating system that came with the PC, which was W8.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

HI;

There should be a F11 factory reset option.

Restart the PC and tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F11 option and select the factory reset option from the menu.

Or you can try the factory reset option using the HP recovery manager program from within Windows.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110#AbT1

If that doesn't work, I have other suggestions, so you should be able to fix the PC one way or t'other.

HP Recommended

Paul thank you for the information.. I am sorry it has taken so long to respond. I tried the esc and F11 abd git tge nessage "unable to reset your PC. A required  drive partition is missing."

I then went to the recovery and did every hardware driver reinstallation there was as well as every software reinstallation there was and then tried to reset it and still get that notice. 

I also keep getting pop up notices "Java can not determine a valid java home"

and " one notem.Exe application Error, the application was unable to start correctly:

These are what brought it to my attention something was wrong with the computer. It seems there is no way to reset it back to manufactures settings. Maybe I best be looking into a new computer (which I hate the thought of as I HATE windows ten) I am older and prefer my windows 8.1 that I am use to and Like I said I only use the computer for email, facebook (with family) and to print coupons, simple nothing high tech and no games. But the things I use is what is not working.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

OK, here are your other two options to fix the PC...

1.  The free option...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Only if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or usb flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Omni-120-Desktop-PC-series/5296555/model/5297333/

2. The 'not-free option'...order W8 recovery media from HP and upgrade back to W8.1.

You can order W8 recovery media from HP at the link below...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-omni-120-1300-desktop-pc-series/5296555/model/5297333/sof...

HP Recommended

Paul,

I again thank you so very much for your help.

I know I probably sound really stupid here, but if I buy the recovery disk from the hp link, will it put my computer back to manufatures settings? Sorry I have Chemo Brain, and it surely is a real thing. Since I am not real tech savy I think the free way would be way overloading for me right now. I get confused very quickly sometimes due to chemotherapy.

I am willing to pay to have my computer fixed (buy the disk) because I was thinking I was going to have to go buy a new computer. 

I am sorry for sounding dumb and so many questions. I really appreciate all your help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the HP recovery media will put the PC's hard drive to its 'out of the box' condition.

The only thing you will need to do afterward is to get the free upgrade to W8.1 from the Windows Store since the recovery media will be for the original operating system that came with the PC, which was W8.

HP Recommended

Paul

I can not thank you enough for your help. I appreciate it so very much. I will order the disk today and reboot this thing.  Thank you, you are truly a blessing..

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Paul, 

I am hoping you will see this message and be able to help me again. I received the disks in the mail today and am already confused. When I ordered them they told me to follow the promts however when I put the first disk in it gave me no prompts at all and there is no directions as to how to do any of this.

As I said before, my chemo brain is failing me big time, as I have always been able to fix this kind of thing and now I am frustrated and ready to just purchase a new computer. Anyway I received 5 disks. 4 in one envelope and 1 in another. The single disk is supplemental Recovery. The 4 disk are System recovery. When I put the first disk in it made the sound of it running them automatically opened a file folder, but does not tell me wht to do or how to fix it, no prompts, no telling me to put second disk in. I am sorry to be such a pain in asking so many questions and truly appreciate all the help you have already given me. Any advice or help to repair this with the disk would be greatly appreciated before I just go out and buy a new one, that I can not really afford due to cancer treatment expenses.. This computer has been my means to the outside world while in treatment due to such low counts  and not being able to go in public due to risk of infections and I am lost without it. bad picture but this is what I get when I put disk one in. this page pops up with no direction as to what to do next, any advice?54386828_597573520715584_567483540510343168_n.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

First of all in order to boot from the recovery disks, you have to go into the BIOS, enable Legacy Mode and disable Secure Boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

After you have changed and saved those settings, have Disk 1 of the recovery kit in the DVD drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options meny, and from that select the internal or Legacy DVD drive, press the enter key.

Watch the screen...should give you a message to press any key to boot from the DVD.  Press the enter key (just because it is the biggest one to press :generic:).

The PC should now boot from disk 1 of the recovery kit, and you can now follow the on screen instructions to factory reset the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.