Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I need help updating the BIOS on my HP dc7800 CMT. I keep getting this error:

The system BIOS updte file (C:\Users\f\Downloads\ROM.CAB) is missing or corrupt. The system BIOS will not be updated.

I tried to update using the sp53611.exe (8.0 MB) 1.32 Rev. A(6 Dec 2011) HP Compaq Business Desktop System BIOS (786F1 BIOS)

Which can be found here.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3459243&swItemId=vc_97114_1&swEnvOid=4059

The current version of my BIOS is: 786F1 v01.04 7/18/2007

I am running Windows 7 64-bit  Ultiate. I noticed on the page for the software (linked to above), it mentions most flavors of Windows 7 64 bit, but it DOESN'T mention Win 7 ULTIMATE 64-pit.

Here is what I did:

1) Restarted computer in safe mode

2) Logged in as administrator

3) Started task manager to make sure all apps and most services were stopped

3A ) as an extra precaustion, I even stopped Windows Defeneder

4) Double clicked sp53611.exe and let it install software.

5) This opened a web page. I clicked on the link that was under the Update Bio from a windows environment.

6) The process started, but then I got the error above.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Is it possible that the BIOS CAN'T be updated because the software doesn't support windows 7 64-bit ULTIMATE???

Thank you in advance. I have a new graphics card coming today (Radeon HD 6570 - which was recommended by Mr. Paul Tikkanen, Thank You), and I guess that I should have my BIOS somewhat current, right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There should be no need to update the BIOS if everything is working correctly.

If you want to update the BIOS you should use the built in Flash System ROM menu in the BIOS.

That is the safest and easiest way to flash the BIOS.

All you need is a USB flash drive formatted with the FAT 32 file system.

Download the latest BIOS update and run it.

You should get an instruction page.  On that page, you want to select the F10 flash system rom option and you should see a view contents of DOS flash folder.

Copy all of the files in that folder to your usb flash drive.

Plug the flash drive in the usb port, reboot the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F10 key to access the BIOS.

There will be a menu to Flash System ROM.

Select that and it should see the BIOS update files on the usb flash drive.  Then follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with updating the BIOS.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

There should be no need to update the BIOS if everything is working correctly.

If you want to update the BIOS you should use the built in Flash System ROM menu in the BIOS.

That is the safest and easiest way to flash the BIOS.

All you need is a USB flash drive formatted with the FAT 32 file system.

Download the latest BIOS update and run it.

You should get an instruction page.  On that page, you want to select the F10 flash system rom option and you should see a view contents of DOS flash folder.

Copy all of the files in that folder to your usb flash drive.

Plug the flash drive in the usb port, reboot the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F10 key to access the BIOS.

There will be a menu to Flash System ROM.

Select that and it should see the BIOS update files on the usb flash drive.  Then follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with updating the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanation and tutorial, Paul.

I will try to install the graphics card tonight first and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, then I will try to update the BIOS.

Right now, I DO have an aftermmarket graphics card in there (AMD Radeon x1900 all in wonder - 250mb). it works ok but there are no specific drives for that card for Win 7 64bit, so I am using the Catalyst package.

I will update if there are any problems.

Hopefully everything will be ok and I won't have to mess with the BIOS.

Thanks again for all your help.

HP Recommended

Just so everyone knows...

The installation went without a hitch... wort of...

Yes, the old bios seems to work fine. No need to update the bios.

But, when I was removing the OLD X1900 all in wonder graphics card, I managed to break off part of the PCIe port that is on the motherboard.

It is the part that is at the very end of the slot, farthest away from the outside of the case.

It looks like maybe it was a little tang that is supposed to clip onto part of the graphics card.

Anyway, after some discreet use of curse words (it is really hard to achieve curse nirvana when you have an 8-year-old boy looming over your shoulder while you are trying to install hardware), I put the new card in, booted it up, and she worked fine.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is great news.

I busted that tang off a dc7600 once.  It must have gotten brittle.

Never had a problem either, but that tang does keep the back end of the card from raising up.

The way I look at it, you will be just fine unless you give the PC a swift kick or something to jar the video card loose.

HP Recommended

The way I look at it, you will be just fine unless you give the PC a swift kick or something to jar the video card loose.

Darn...

I have been known to give my computers a swift kick from time to time (but only when they deserve it!)

:indifferent:

HP Recommended

brother when i select the option flash rom bios and then the usb it says that the rom file are missing or error..what should I do now? ?????????

HP Recommended

My BIOS 786G1 is dated  11/4/2008 . I downloaded the one for 2015  and it does not show in my System Summary . Also I received an error " ROM Missing or corrupt .

HP Recommended

If you can't upgrade the BIOS, look at this video https://youtu.be/Ewx-3SM-JaU

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
-- My YouTube channel: goo.gl/iyuO4D
-- HP Compaq dc7800 USDT 27 video playlist
Twitter : https://twitter.com/redigitt Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/redigitt redigitt AIO playlist : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdsSKCXNCJYjJcT3ZLhOSS5Gkd1tqauv- How to update BIOS for HP Compaq dc7800 USDT - requested video HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool: ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.