cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Need Windows 7 product key for activation

HP Recommended
Z240
Linux

I'm running Linux on an Z240 workstation. I want to use the Windows license that came with this workstation to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine inside my Linux host OS. I no longer have the original contents of the hard drive. Unlike a notebook PC, there does not seem to be a sticker showing the Windows product key that I need for activation. I read there may be a Digital Product Key in the BIOS, but I have searched the menus without finding it.

I had written down what I thought was the Windows Product Key before erasing the hard disk, but it turned out to be the Product ID instead.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,669
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Unlike a notebook PC, there does not seem to be a sticker showing the Windows product key 

Every PC (All-In-One or Desktop or Notebook) originally shipped with Windows 7 should have that sticker.

Have you searched on eBay for the "retail" version of Windows 7 ?

To be "legal", the seller must provide both the DVD-disk and the sticker.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will answer my own question. It appears that with Windows 7, this cannot be done. Even if I take an activated Windows disk image and run it on a VM, Windows 7 recognizes that the hardware has changed and reverts to an unactivated state.

I also tried saving the product key from the BIOS and restoring it to the VM copy, but the activation still fails.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation