Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All in one 22 series - Model 22-c0014na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to install a new drive and load up windows 10

The drive is a replica of the one i had to take out and is ready to go

I have the windows tool make me a windows 10 start up boot disk

This is the help i need now

I know i need to format the drive to a certain way and may have to change a bios setting so the drive will be recognized when i boot from the usb so i can load windows on it

Can i get a starter suggestion before i dive in please 

Thank you everyone

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive?

The recovery drive will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

If not, I suggest you do that using another Windows PC with Windows 7 64 bit or newer on it to create the recovery drive.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

To answer your question, all you should need to do is plug the USB flash drive with W10 on it into a USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Immediately press/tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive with W10 on it, and press the enter key.

Then you can follow the rest of the on screen instructions.

There should be no need to format the hard drive or change any BIOS settings.

HP Recommended

The hp cloud recovery tool looks like a good option but the original drive was not usable

I have a laptop running windows 10 that i can try this on

I will give that a whirl first

Thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As long as the replacement drive is the same storage capacity as the one you removed, the cloud recovery-created media should work on it.

HP Recommended

Ahhhh its not 😞

I will give it a try though

HP Recommended

It might work unless the drive you bought is has a much smaller capacity then the original one.

The specs state the original drive was 1 TB, so maybe it would work on a 500 GB one?

I don't understand what this drive is for though...

16 GB PCIe NVMe 3D Xpoint M.2 Solid State

That's too small to install Windows on.

HP Recommended

Beats me

I am just a beginner to this 😀

I am currently making the boot USB now so fingers crossed for me

Thank you

HP Recommended

Well the USB loaded up fine no issues

Put the USB press escape and boot menu  then it shows the blue windows flag on the black background and get this error

Btw the drive is exactly the same capacity as the old one - so that cant be it
thumbnail_IMG_7791.jpg

Recovery Manager
0XFFEE016

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

According to this site, it is a 16 GB Optane. I am not versed into it, so here is some info.  He is all yours !

If you can handle this, I will surely learn.

What is it          How to use it        HP says       Danger of removing it

What I believe:  (hope I'm correct).   "The Intel RST software must be installed, see how to use it".

1) Probably need to remove the 16GB,  install the WIN 10,  then download the RST software

2) Put back the 16GB, then run the RST installer.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, @wb2001 

Unfortunately, I am not versed in it either.

If it were my PC, I'd have removed both the dead hard drive and the 16 GB chip and tossed in a 500 GB NVMe drive, installed W10 and lived happily ever after with a blazing fast NVMe drive.

All Optane does is accelerate the mechanical hard drive.

Hi, @fonetonez 

I would not be able to help you with the recovery manager error.

The only suggestion I can offer, if the 16 GB NVMe chip is an Intel Optane chip, here is a guide for clean installing W10 when your PC has the Intel Optane memory.

This is for Dell PC's, but the steps would be the same.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln309490/how-to-install-windows-10-when-intel-optane-is-...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.