Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Pheonix 860-170vr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi hope this post finds you well!

Somebody on the amd forum claims the HP bios is the reason for failed amd graphics driver updates, which are also now causing failed installations of windows feature updates. 

AMD forum - look at the last post on page 2 

I have 2 hp envy pheonix 860-170vr computers, no mods.  On both, I have been unable to update the driver for the amd R9 390x gpus since december 2018 (build 18.12.1.1).  Spent a lot of time on that.  Also now unable to install windows 10 feature updates since update 2004 released in May. 

I don't know if the hp bios is the underlying problem but that person's post is intriguing.  I have no intention of using a random bios somebody made but I am also annoyed af to have dealt with this graphics driver issue for 2 years.  The last official HP BIOS update for my envy was A0.59 Rev.A in February 2018, just saying.  Any chance HP could look into this and/or does anyone else have this issue as well?  If the bios is the underlying problem I would like to at least know even if there's no official hp fix in the works.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was a lot of posts.  I doubt you'll be able to help unless you are updating the BIOS for the HP Thimphu mobo. 

No worries though, I'm shutting this post down.  I'm moving on from my AMD gpu, been too many driver compatibility issues for 2 years and now for whatever reason it no longer will play with the HP Thimphu mobo due to some sort of AMD driver issue which prevents it from running on the newest version (20H2) of windows 10.  I'm going back to nvidia.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HI@indub, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I fixed it!  I'll explain below since other HP envy owners may encounter this.

Also want to mention, thanks for the info Praveenbv but I'm not sure why you bothered to write anything since you obviously did not read my original post.

Anyways, got my amd driver from 18.12.1.1 to 20.11.2 and windows 10 updated  from 1909 to 20H2.  I used the same steps I tried relentlessly the past 2 years, not sure why this didn't of work before with windows feature 1909, at least not for my specific DESKTOP computers.  If anyone else having problems installing amd drivers in windows 10 with an HP envy, try this:

1. Safe mode with networking: Remove amd with ddu or amd cleanup utility, restart back into safe mode w net
  2. Safe mode w net: Using windows update assistant (not win update in settings) update windows, restart normal
  3. Normal start:
    1. Just in case, check the start menu to see if there's any amd remnants.  I noticed sometimes stuff like amd bug report tool install separate and seem to cause issues installing drivers. If so delete them from the start menu program folder (windows/program data/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs). 
    2. Check windows update in settings.  If you're on windows feature 20H2 it won't auto install amd drivers.  Install any windows only updates, no optional updates, and restart as needed.  My attempts using windows update for the newest amd driver failed.
    3. Now download/install the newest amd driver from amd's website

After I updated windows and tried installing amd as an optional update, which failed, I tried installing old faithful amd 18.12.1.1.  It installed fine but now on windows 20H2 it installed without image or sound.  No!!!  At that point I was thinking f this and about to reload my disk image but I decided one more amd removal and install attempt.  Installing direct from amd worked and those are the steps I took 🙂 Its nice to have a fully updated system after 2 years!

HP Recommended

And...jinxed myself.  Black screen with new amd driver on 20H2 as well and now no other amd driver version works with it either.  Thought my card finally gave up the ghost so I loaded the disk image from last month with windows 10 feature 1909 and amd 18.12.1.1 to check.  My 390X card is still fine and everything works with that setup.  So now since I can't update my gpu drivers I can't update windows feature updates which eventually means I'll have to move on from my graphics card or pc. 

Could it be the HP bios?  Any place online to find other possible bios for my motherboard?  

HP Recommended

@indub,I hope that answers your query. If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow and if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos. 

Have a great day ahead. 

HP Recommended

That was a lot of posts.  I doubt you'll be able to help unless you are updating the BIOS for the HP Thimphu mobo. 

No worries though, I'm shutting this post down.  I'm moving on from my AMD gpu, been too many driver compatibility issues for 2 years and now for whatever reason it no longer will play with the HP Thimphu mobo due to some sort of AMD driver issue which prevents it from running on the newest version (20H2) of windows 10.  I'm going back to nvidia.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.