Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi. I have an old HP desktop pc running windows XP. It has got so cluttered over the years and takes ages to boot up.

I am wanting to reset it back to factory settings. I know everyone says hit the F11 key te reset it, but, there is no F11 option

on the screen as it passes by. There is F9,  F10,  and F12 but no F11.

I went into the BIOS and was looking around in there and found a section which has the F keys and I can enable/disable them.

F11 was disabled so I enabled it and saved settings and exit.

On the next boot up I was expecting to see the F11 on the screen but no???

I went back into BIOS again and the F11 key was still enabled!!  so I really don't know what to do.

Any help or advice on how to solve this will be much appreciated.

Bringe.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue.

Thanks for your post and the patch link, which I downloaded and ran, but it didn't do anything.

Still got the same problem. I have gone through the motions again and took some pics. which are attached.

Pic 1 is just showing the system info.

pic 2 shows an option "restore factory settings as default"

pic 4 shows me attempting to do this.

pic 5 shows me applying the default.

pic 6 shows, after applying the default it went to "safe mode" I let it start normally.

pic 7 shows, it started up as normal. Not in factory Fresh condition.

pic 8. back in bios shows F11 prompt "displayed" (although its not) and FRBS in disable. I tried this in both

disable and enable. see pic 9.

pic 10&11 shows me saving the changes and exit.

I have tried all of this several times but it seems no matter what I do, there is still no F11 on the start screen when it flicks by???

Is there anything that can be done in the "C" prompt?? or any other ideas or help with this will be greatly appreciated!!!

Many Thanks.

Bringe.pic 2pic 2pic4pic4pic 5pic 5pic 6pic 6pic 7pic 7pic 8pic 8pic 9pic 9pic 10pic 10pic 11pic 11

pic 1pic 1

HP Recommended

Hi

You pictures will take some time for approval.

If you use a disk like W7 then you options like this...

W7 and W10 Repair.png

I clean up by deleting *.tmp  WARNING WILL ROBINSON

it can wipe out everything if you get it wrong.

C:\del *.tmp /s

and also

C:\del ~*.*

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue

Thanks for your reply, although I must say I didn't really understand much of it.

I take it that you have not seen my pictures yet. They probably have to be screened by HP first. Also I don't know why

my "pic1" ended up at the bottom of the list??

I didn't understand what that "warning will robinson" was either.  If there is anything that can be done from the "c prompt"

could you spell it out for me, I don't know what the "*" stars are for??

I was reading through one of the manuals you sent me and it seems there should be a restore and recovery wizard on this

system somewhere, but I can't find it, and its not downloadable from the HP website, I did look.

A friend of mine has another HP desktop running XP (a different model) and that has a recovery wizard. Looking at his "my computer" there is an icon of a hard drive next to the "local disk (C:)" which is (hp_recovery (I:)

You mentioned about having a disk like W7 unfortunately I don't have a disk.

I guess that's about it for now. Any other ideas or methods to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Bringe.

HP Recommended

Hi

The stars are * supposed to be asterisks, and are wildcards.

So *.tmp is any filename.tmp to be deleted.

/S is act on sub-directories to clear temporary files and free up space.

You or a friend can download the W7 or 8 iso and make a repair disk to get to a command prompt and then view the C:.

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue

Thanks for your reply. You said about getting a windows 7 or 8 iso, but I really want to keep it as xp.

I have attached 2 pictures.

pic1 is "my computer" on my pc showing the C: hard drive all alone on its own.

pic2 is "my computer" on my friend's pc showing the C: hard drive and HP_RECOVERY (I:)

Would it be possible to copy his HP_RECOVERY and download it onto my pc, giving me the ability to restore

to factory settings, which is what I want??

His pc is also an HP desktop.

Kind Regards.

Bringe.pic1pic1pic2pic2

HP Recommended

Hi

First off booting with an expanded iso file of W7, 8 or 10 is just that BOOTING.

You choose REPAIR and not install, then there is a command prompt option to access and repair the C: if wanted/needed.

The 😧 on your friends computer may hold a repair / recovery option that may well work on yours. 

You may have a hidden drive partition containing the same thing.  You should look for a Disk Partitioning tool like

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/ it may well need registration and avoid signing up for newsletters etc.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue

Thanks for your reply. I did manage to find a windows 7 iso and download it. But on trying to burn it to a disk I have found

that my cd/dvd rom has decided to stop working. I tried several blank disks, with the same results. I even tried playing a music cd and that didn't play either.

So, back to the other plan.  I have attached 2 pictures

Pic1 shows my "C" drive partition.  And...

Pic2 shows my friend's "C" drive partition with the HP_RECOVERY.

Please can you tell me how to go about copying the HP_RECOVERY from my friends PC and adding

it into my "C" drive as a new partition so that I can run the recovery???

Kind Regards.

Bringe.pic1pic1pic2pic2

HP Recommended

Hi

Your friend can't make a DVD for you?

W7 does not like USB to boot from.

Your pictures need approval.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.