Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P6213w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I woke up with an idea.   I am continuing with Windows 7 Home.  The idea: upgrade to Windows 7 Pro and then buy the ESU.  

From what I've read, I need the HP OEM version rather than a retail version I can buy online.  Is there an OEM upgrade version of Pro secreted away somewhere that I could get my hands on?  

I'm wiling to do the ESU and so wish I had this idea earlier.  Rats.  

Any help appreciated.  I've looked online and I don't see that anyone has broached this idea.  

Second question -->  As I start work on securing my system, I am wondering if I can backup the recovery partition D drive to a flash drive?   I am also wondering about backing the C drive to a cloud service, like Google Drive?  Bad idea?  

Patience with me.  I am trying.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It may be very difficult to find an upgrade to W7 Pro at this time.

This site may help you to determine if your situation qualifies for ESU even if you use W7 Pro (Link). I am pretty sure consumer PC owners are not able to purchase ESU.

Backups are great. Multiple backups using local media and cloud options are fantastic.

I would not use W7 much longer if you don't qualify for ESU. You have time to move elsewhere, but not much.

The black hats will come for your PC at some point in time.

Total security on any operating system connected to the Internet does not exist. W7 security will decline as time goes by.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I qualify for ESU.  That link is to the ESU fee schedule, not qualifications.  But no matter.   Appreciate the response.   Found a site online that has older OEM "stuff."  Have contacted.  Was hoping to get it from a corner inside HP.  But ah well.  

HP Recommended

Hi, 

You're very welcome.

Are you using W7 Home Premium provided by HP?

You can't buy extended support updates.

Use W7 at your own risk, update to W10, or go to Linux or Apple.

Regards

HP Recommended

The question was on how to locate a HP OEM version of Win7 Pro in order to upgrade from 7 HP OEM Home so that ESU could be purchased.   

I have software that only runs on 7.   Business can do the ESU.  

I will eventually buy a tower for 10 for limited use for taxes and banking.  I do not use Office or other MS products.

I did not come here to discuss my decision. 

But that said, I object to the forced purchase of new hardware, software, printer by a monopolist  the enemy of capitalism and entrepreneurism.  Our trash heaps are big enough and filled with products that do the intended work.  The market should be allowed to vote with their pocketbooks by being provided products they race to want, rather than having 25% of the business market still choosing 7.  Bugs continue to haunt Win10.  Persistent wake-up calls on some machines, disabled in tasks only to be re-enabled with an update.  An updated File Explorer that freezes for a good number of users. You gotta love all of the security and code hiccups with Win 10 updates, with the latest the one from NASA.   I would happily go to Linux if it supported my software needs.  I will never walk into the walled gates of Apple.  I hate Microshaft but am stuck with it.   

I won't say more here -- but you popped my cork, sorry -- as I came here for one purpose only: to continue a quest to find what I stated in my first sentence.

I appreciate your speedy responses.  Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.