Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 800-101a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my wife's Omen pc has been having hard drive errors for a month or so now, we have been bypassing it by hitting F2 when prompted, and exiting which has loaded windows. We have tried running the diagnostic tool before too, but it came back all was fine.

Yesterday her pc stopped loading windows however and would just hang after clearing the error with the Omen logo and rotating dots.

I had a brand new SATA 2tb drive at hand as it was to be for my son for xmas. So thinking I would just replace it I decided to create a Windows 10 bootable USB drive and just give it a fresh install. Upon creating the tool I had the problem where although I would select to boot from the drive, the windows logo would flicker on and then vanish.. then a few moments later it would return with 5 rotating dots and hang there forever.

I tried messing around with the bios, removing secure boot and enabling legacy but had the same issue.

All night I tried various combos including a different usb stick. Same problem.

Today I tried creating a Windows tool using RUFUS. This time I got a little further. I was greeted with an option to install windows for either 64bit or 32bit. I selected 64 and i was greeted with a loading bar. After a few moments the windows logo appeared on a black screen with 5 rotating dots. And this is as far as I can get. 

Even with the new HDD in, I spam ESC on start up where it will tell me there's a HD error and to press F2 to attempt to fix it. Oddly it doesn't give me a No OS detected message. Do you think I should pop it in my other machine and format it first? I can't see that being an issue as a fresh install should give me that option anyway. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get the problem sorted this evening. Turned out to be the SATA cable. I replaced it with another I had lying around, and tried again, and worked right away. Three evenings pretty much pulling my hair out and it was something so simple in the end.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Kraytex1 

What you're doing SHOULD work -- especially creating the media using RUFUS as that allows you to select UEFI/GPT instead of BIOS/MBR, which is what the newer PCs want to see.

All I can suggest is using the information below and a 32GB USB stick to create HP boot media -- as that should work without any issues:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.  The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get the problem sorted this evening. Turned out to be the SATA cable. I replaced it with another I had lying around, and tried again, and worked right away. Three evenings pretty much pulling my hair out and it was something so simple in the end.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.