Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0057c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion 590-p0057c (c for Costco). I have been very happy with the hardware and HP support.

However, I've got myself into a bind concerning "Sync", "Backup", and "OneDrive".

One day a couple of weeks ago, I decided to Sync or Backup my Pictures folder. Seemed like a good idea except when I next needed to import photos into folders, there was nothing there on my hard drive: about 300+ GB of photos. It also has messed with various configuration files for several graphics programs I use: they require that the files and directories be there. The Pictures folder is not on C: drive, is has been moved to D:, a separate (internal) drive, if that makes a difference.

I have discovered that the files show up in File Explorer OneDrive folder, and that they show up in the OneDrive web interface, and I even have a full backup in File History.

I did not delete the files and folders in my Pictures folder. As the "Sync or Backup" was occurring, I was watching the files show up via the OneDrive web interface, watched directories appearing and watching an indicator show how much disk space I had used of my 1 TB.

So, what did I get completely, absolutely, mind numbing, totally backwards?

How do I unset OneDrive to not do this?

How do I restore the files? (again, I have the files in the OneDrive cloud AND File History)

I need to set it so a restore, would not have OneDrive do it again.

I have noodled around and I find lots of information on how to recover files someone has deleted, but so far nothing that discusses files removed from one's local hard drive as a side effect of some sort of configuration or misunderstanding of the OneDrives use of the words "Sync" and/or "Backup".

Any link to a resource or thread would be much appreciated. I actually like reading fine manuals!

Thank you....

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.