Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP23-d027c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A friend asked me to re-install Window 10 due to a failing Hard drive. After the install incl. all current MS updates I encounter the following problem. The Optical drive displays in File Manager (and Device Manger) but does not auto play and discs. When manually clicking on the device it says, “application not found”.  When inserting the disc you can hear it spinning up but that is as far as it goes.

So far: Removed DVD/CD Drive from Device manager. Check/reinstalled the driver. Checked REG for upper and Lower filter entries. Disable and re-enable AutoPlay.

Not yet tried: Removing all IDE/ATAPI Controllers

I have limited/remote access to the problem PC so suggestion may take a bit of time to try and respond/update.  Thanks for any suggestions. The PC is an HP23-d027c, the optical drive is a DVDRAM CT80V (possibly GT80V).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So today the optical drive came back to life on its own!  I am guessing a Windows update, about to only thing that has happened recently - at this point I am NOT going to spend anymore time on trying to figure out which update resolved the issue and just call it a day.  Thanks for the help and suggestions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Windows 10 does not support DVD/CD playback.  But one can install various software to allow playback.  You can check the Microsoft store for an app OR VLC is free and very good at playing many varieties of video and music discs.  With some work, it can even play BluRay

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

You might need to research how to enable autoplay, because that was removed to stop malware spread.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reminder that Win 10 needs a media player, I forgot to do that during the install.  I have suggested the VLC install but have not heard back yet. BUT, what bothered me that she could not install PhotoShop from a CD that should have worked via File Explorer. (BTW - the Win install was via USB)

HP Recommended

I suspect it was not that PhotoShop would not run but that it did not auto start.  With the autorun disabled, it will not/should not respond until the user tells it to start.  What I have found, open this PC and then double click on the DVD/CD drive that should acknowledge the title of the install.  It should then ask what to do with the Setup.EXE. or just run it. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Just had access to the remote PC. I did uninstalled the DVD device via device Manger and also the IDE/ATAPI Controllers - start PC no change. Installed VLC and Win Media player - did not see the drive.  Inserted Photo shop disc but I could not see any of the files on the disc. AutoPlay is enabled.  The drive shows in Explorer but not correctly - see attached pic. It shows under Devices and Drivers but does not show up under This PC once a disc is inserted. Insert any disc and you can hear it spinning up but nothing happens. Click on the drive and it ejects the disk.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!dvd issue.JPG

HP Recommended

PS - I had her try to run the HP diagnostics at start up (ESC - F2) the menu came up but she could not navigate to any of the options (not via keyboard arrows, mouse or touch screen) - So was not able to run the optical drive diagnostics.

HP Recommended

Not related to the other problem but if the keyboard and mouse are not the original and are USB, that would explain why they do not work.  OR   they are plugged into a USB 3. port instead of a USB 2.0 port.  According to the spec page, the USB 2.0 ports are on the back of the PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

So today the optical drive came back to life on its own!  I am guessing a Windows update, about to only thing that has happened recently - at this point I am NOT going to spend anymore time on trying to figure out which update resolved the issue and just call it a day.  Thanks for the help and suggestions.

HP Recommended

Yes no point in looking further until it quits again.  And hoping it remains good!

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The Optical drive displays in File Manager.

What choices do you get in File Manager when you click on the icon with the second (usually the right-side) mouse button? A professionally-produced audio CD should show the "play" option (using Windows Media Player).  If W.M.P. cannot open & play such a CD, I would suspect hardware problems with the CD device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.