Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-279na & Pavilion 550-100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi All, Firstly, apologies to Grizzlys2k and WAWood in that I have not yet properly followed up their April 2019 suggestions regarding temperature monitoring software. I’m a bit old and past it – and sometimes more urgent things divert me. It subsequently occurred to me that the questions I SHOULD have asked were: • Does an HP Envy 750-279na Desktop PC have built-in Overheat Protection / temperature control software and, if so, where can I find out about it? • What are the maximum safe operating temperatures for the Envy’s Core(s), Motherboard, SSD, HDD, and GPU? • Does an HP Pavilion 550-100na Desktop PC have built-in Overheat Protection / temperature control software and, if so, where can I find out about it? • What are the maximum safe operating temperatures for the Pavilion’s Core(s), Motherboard, SSD, HDD, and GPU? The reason for my renewed interest is that I was looking through installed HP test / diagnostic software and found a test that would run the processors at full load for two minutes. It occurred to me that this could risk burning out the Cores unless the PC included software for Overheat Protection / temperature monitoring and control – particularly as both machines are three years old and I haven’t yet had time to open then up and air blast out all the dust. If anyone could answer the above queries – or provide relevant advice – I’d be most grateful. Best Regards … TBCDA
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @tbcda,

Are you using any high-end application or playing a graphic oriented game on the PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC.

I have checked the records and there are no thermal control software available for the PC.

If you Gaming or using any high end appliation the PC will raise the laptop temperature and if the vents are restricted that will increase the heat more. So if this laptop hasn't had the vents cleaned out for sometime this could result in Thermal overload and causing your laptop to shut down and worse case damage the system to point it no longer works.

At idle, you should expect to see temperatures between 35 and 50°C (95-122F), and when playing games or running any apps which put a high load on the CPU, you should expect them to rise to 60-85°C (140-185F).

Try updating the BIOS and Thermal framework client driver to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant. Click Here

Also, Try performing the following ts steps:

1 - Right-click on any open space on your computer's taskbar.

2 -Select "Task Manager" and press "Enter."

3 -Select "View" from the Taskbar Manager's pull-down menu. If more than one computer is connected to your network, notice the graphs for all CPUs. Select "One Graph Per CPU." This will help determine which computers are using more processing time.

4 -Go to the "Applications" tab. Because this tab shows open programs in real time, you will be able to see exactly when a program has been opened and closed at the time that it occurs. Identify and close selected programs by highlighting each one separately and clicking on "End Task" to free up processing time. (Important: Make sure all work is saved prior to closing any programs.)

5 -Go to the "Processes" tab and view them, but do not delete any of them unless absolutely necessary. All of the hidden system processes and programs are listed here. (Note: See Warnings section.)

6 -Set your computer's cooling fan to "Auto." Next, slide the Processing Speed scale to "3-4." Slide the Cooling Method scale to the middle of the range. These settings will slow down the CPU when needed

Also, Hit Win Key + R
Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter.
Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1
Restart the computer

Refer this article to know more information about overheating issues with the PC. Click Here

Hope to this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Dear A4Apollo, First of all, many thanks for the considerable time and effort you have obviously put in to generate such a detailed response. This is just an initial quick reply (I will respond regarding the few ‘unaddressed’ items later on) as I have suddenly got diverted to a much more important task: I bought a new Android tablet for my wife today and – despite knowing nothing about Android or Tablets – I need to configure it in detail and also check if her 2012 Google Jelly Bean Nexus can be ‘salvaged’ 😊 Initial quick answers / comments to your ‘post’ are as follows: "Are you using any high-end application or playing a graphic oriented game on the PC?" No – however I am thinking of doing a lot of HD video processing which would run all 8 logical processors (HP Envy) at circa 100% for an hour or more. "Please provide the product number of your PC": HP Envy is N9C10EA#ABU (from HP Support Assistant) – I haven’t looked up the product number of the Pavilion desktop. "I have checked the records and there are no thermal control software available for the PC": Thanks for checking this – you have saved me a lot of time / effort doing what would have been a fruitless search. I guess I might need to get one of the two temperature monitoring packages suggested previously by other HP Community members. FYI I occasionally use SpeedFan which gives the following ‘Readings’: temperatures for HD0, HD1, Temp1 (Motherboard? Please advise if you know), GPU and Cores 0-3 (individually) - also GPU fan RPM and GPU Vddc. SpeedFan also provides: a check box for “Automatic fan speed” (which fan?) and an up / down control for GPU Fan setting (default is 30%) "If you are Gaming or using any high end application the PC will raise the laptop temperature and if the vents are restricted that will increase the heat more. So if this laptop hasn't had the vents cleaned out for sometime this could result in Thermal overload and causing your laptop to shut down and worse case damage the system to point it no longer works." Yes, I am aware of this but am increasingly old and decrepit so haven’t got round to annually opening the PCs up & cleaning out with canned air (as I used to do with previous PCs). "At idle, you should expect to see temperatures between 35 and 50°C (95-122F), and when playing games or running any apps which put a high load on the CPU, you should expect them to rise to 60-85°C (140-185F)." I think – but please confirm – that you are talking about temperatures for the processor cores, as your numbers match what I remember reading when I located the datasheet for the HP Envy processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz). Do you have any information on temperatures for the Envy’s GPU (AMD Radeon (TM) R7 360 Series)? I self-built my previous desktop (ASUS motherboard) and the temperature ranges for the motherboard (RAM?) were different (lower) than for the processor – do you have any information on temperature ranges for the HP Envy (and Pavilion) motherboards? "Try updating the BIOS and Thermal framework client driver to the latest version using HP Support Assistant." I check for the latest version of HP Support Assistant (and then run it) once a week, installing any updates that it finds. I haven’t looked specifically for updates to BIOS and Thermal framework client driver, but will try to do so before I next ‘post’ to you. Maybe you could describe how I can look for possible updates for these specific two items in HP Support Assistant? "Refer this article to know more information about using HP Support Assistant (Click Here)." I think I’ve been through this article before, but will do so again before getting back to you. "Also, Try performing the following steps: 1-5 Monitor PC using Task Manager:" I always open Task Manager as soon as I power up the PC and primarily keep an eye on ‘Performance’ (i.e. usage) for Wi-Fi, CPU and Disk 0 (SSD). When there is high usage, I check ‘Processes’ to see which specific process wants a lot of resource. "6 Set your computer's cooling fan to "Auto." Next, slide the Processing Speed scale to "3-4." Slide the Cooling Method scale to the middle of the range. These settings will slow down the CPU when needed." Please clarify - I haven’t seen anything in Task Manager about Auto fan setting, Processing Speed scale, or Cooling Method scale. Additionally, I seem to remember going into the BIOS (when I first bought the PC) and setting Fan to Auto – I occasionally hear the fan speed up when CPU usage is high – but will check this again. "Also, Hit Win Key + R. Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter. Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’. Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1. Restart the computer." I’m not that confident to edit the Registry so will probably ‘pass’ on this advice. "Refer this article to know more information about overheating issues with the PC (Click Here)." I will read the article and respond in due course. With Best Regards … tbcda
HP Recommended

Hi! @tbcda,

Thanks for such detailed response.

I found a third party website which gives the operating temperature for processors.

Please refer this article to know more information about operating temperature for processors. Click Here

Try updating the BIOS to the latest version using this link. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apologies for this belated post in reply to advice from A4Apollo in his two posts dated 12/8/19 and 13/8/19. This post addresses parts of A4Apollo’s advice that I previously did not have time to properly look into….

I have tried to research my HP Envy’s motherboard and have tentatively identified it as a Pegatron / Odense 2B47 version 1.04. However Google searches have failed to locate a manual for this board – can anyone send me information how I can get a copy of the manual? The only information I have found on the www is: support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04790427.

I guess that RAM temperatures may be the critical item for motherboard temperatures. Can anyone advise (or provide a link) regarding what are the maximum safe temperatures for SK Hynix 8GB 1600 MHz RAM packs?

I have re-read the article (suggested by A4Apollo) which provides more information about using HP Support Assistant – I think I already knew most the information.

A4Apollo suggested that the BIOS (or Task Manager) provides a method for adjusting fan speed / control – I checked the BIOS again and found that it does not obviously provide any form of fan speed control but only gives readings of two fan speeds: CPU Fan & System Fan – typically 1025 rpm & 950 rpm respectively. Also, I cannot find any part of Task Manager that provides fan speed / control. Please could someone give me further information on where to adjust / control fan speed?

I read the article (suggested by A4Apollo) about PC overheating issues. The only jobs I haven’t done is to check / update the BIOS and Thermal Framework Driver using HP Support Assistant (HPSA) – HPSA has never suggested updating the BIOS and Thermal Framework Driver and I cannot find any part of HPSA that does this. Please could someone provide the necessary additional information on updating the BIOS and Thermal Framework Driver using HPSA?

In further regard of HPSA, I check / update it – and check for any updates / downloads it suggests – about once a week. I also checked the Action Log on my PC – it shows that HPSA has downloaded / installed far fewer drivers than the extensive list provided when I enter my PC’s details on the HP Support web pages.

I have read the third-party article (suggested by A4Apollo) about operating temperature for processors: Information to bear in mind seems to be that “modern processor temperatures should not exceed 45-50 Celsius when idle or 80 Celsius under full load”. It also states that average full load temperature for Intel Core I7 type processors is 50-65 Celsius.

A4Apollo provided a link to update the BIOS to the latest version - this asks to download & run file sp85633.exe at 15 MB (whp-hou4.cold.extweb.hp.com). I have not updated the BIOS this way as I understand that HP Support Assistant should automatically identify, download and install any BIOS updates needed.

I would be grateful for advice / solutions regarding the above residual comments / queries. When I have been able to ‘put them to bed’, I will post again with further information I have gathered on avoiding PC overheating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.