elgar82
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

PC bricked after latest Windows Update

HP Recommended
Pavilion Wave 600-a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After last windows update (which seemingly successfully installed), pc would load to desktop, then show error message. Tried recovering/restoring, didn't work, so I got the recovery software from HP -- didn't work.  Ran system tests on all the components, no errors.  I reformatted both the ssd and hd (one at a time - even tried using HD from other PC; same format) -- tried recovery software, and still got a message that says the recovery process failed.  Don't really feel like paying HP just to call to ask what to do, but if anyone else figures this out, I'd love to know the fix.  Don't know how a regular update can brick a PC this easily, but my next one likely won't be an HP.  

3 REPLIES 3
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,824 10,820 1,008 3,048
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can order the original software package by filling out this forum

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Pavilion-Wave-600-a000-Desktop-PC-series/12079672/model/1...

That will return the PC to factory.  Then if you are aware of the update that caused this problem, do not let it install again.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Erigon
Level 1
4 4 1 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would recommend go to Microsoft.com and download the windows 10 media creation tool. Make a new boot able Windows 10 USB for free and install it directly of your current drive. It will keep all your files but remove the corrupt files.

Do a backup just in case. 

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,824 10,820 1,008 3,048
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought of telling @elgar82 about going to the MS site to make the Windows 10 install media found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

On a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and then follow the directions.  Then use this new media to reinstall Windows 10.  This new media will be the latest Windows 10 version at the time of the download.  If that happens to be the reason ( the newest version of Windows ) that your PC has a problem, then it will still be there.  But your choice.  This last method is free and you can always resort to the HP media if that is the case and the MS does not solve the problem.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation