Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just brought a new 8gb Samsung 2666mhz ram the same as what is in my pc, first when I have 2 8gb rams they only run at 2400mhz.

I have updated BIOS and checked the new ram and checked to see if my processor can handle the ram my possessor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz.

it crashes at random times after 1-5 hrs being on.

My pc has never blue screen crashed the whole time I have owned it.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

While it might just be a coincidence, it could be the new RAM does get along with the system. There is built in RAM checking software on the PC but you might need to run a longer running software, IE: better software to find the problem.

MemTest86   https://www.memtest86.com/memtest86.html

Memtest free is considered an excellent memory checking software that many PC tech use to find faulty memory. 

I would also check the spec page for your PC but the model number post is not complete, look here and pick the complete model number from the list to find the specs for the model under consideration.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/product-info

Then you can verify the correct memory specs

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

i have tried a couple of tests and they all say it's fine my CPU says it can run 32gb ram i have removed the old ram and left the new one in to see if it crashes again.

HP Recommended

OK, that will tell you what you want to know.  BTW: If there is a memory problem the Memtest software I linked is the best to find it, IMHO.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have now left my pc running for 7-8hrs I have played some games and been on youtube etc and it hasn't crashed with the new 8 gb ram on its own so what does it mean that my CPU doesn't like having the 2 8gb rams what would be the best thing to do? 

HP Recommended

It could mean that the new RAM and old Ram are not playing nice together because of a mismatch or the old RAM may have been forced to run at a speed or timing/stepping it cannot tolerate as well.  Matched pairs will work much more reliably than mismatched pairs.

PC techs are advised to add matched pairs in memory for best results.  Sometimes it can cause problems when teamed up with an unmatched sibling.  Which might be the problem here.  If the PC continues to function without the original memory installed, it would be my advice to order another - same cat # etc as the new one, if you desire the extra memory.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I made sure they are the same ram so if it keeps happening get a new one to replace the old one?

HP Recommended

When I state a matched pair, that means the old RAM is also a 8gb Samsung 2666mhz ram and the same Cat# etc.  I have not seen Samsung memory in an OEM HP, but I might be wrong.

Yes, if you keep getting a blue screen crash with the old RAM installed, I would recommend get another new 8gb Samsung 2666mhz ram to match.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.