cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guidelines
The HP Consumer Support Forum is a way for customers to help each other find answers, solve problems, and get the most out of their HP products.

Please review the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation before posting to this site. You must be registered and signed in to post. Sign in here

Helpful Advice: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More   Returning Visitor? Learn Advanced Forum Tips
arnnny
Level 3
59 27 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC shuts down at 3 am almost evey night

Pro 3120 MT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have this PC which had worked pretty well in the past 4 years. It's old I know. Before couple years I've upgraded it to support Core 2 Quad and installed Q8xxx series CPU. It has 8GB RAM DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4600 series videocard with 1GB of RAM and Win 7 Pro 64-bit original. I never reinstalled it. It is used for video surveillance of only 6 cameras.

And in the past 2 years it has this strange problem - almost every night it shuts down between 3 and 3:30 am. Sometimes it lasts even for a week before starting again with these strange power off. I thought this is problem with power, but when I remove the feeding cable from the UPS, PC doesn't shut down.There are surge protectors there. If there some power surges, maybe UPS couldn't handle them. Recently it started to shut down very often and I saw a problem with video card cooler. I changed thermal paste on the CPU and video card and replaced video card fan only.   We've bought another 3120MT and moved HDD, CPU and video card to it from the old Pro 3120MT and the problems continue. Problem is that this computer is critical, because colleagues must go outside to watch what's happening. OK, old PC has one bad capacitor, I will change it. I've updated BIOS to 6.09, before replacing CPU.

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
17,956 17,901 1,670 3,935
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC shuts down at 3 am almost evey night

@arnnny 

Sorry, but I don't think we can really help you in this from here.

You've already isolated the problem -- the UPS.  When you disconnect the UPS, the problem goes away

I use UPSs as well, and they regularly update their monitoring software -- without telling me.  I have to manually go there and check for updates, which I do monthly.

Only thing I can suggest is that you check your UPS supplier to see if they have updated their monitoring software.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation