Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card. The HP website says that my computer's graphics interface PCI Express x16 slot is Gen. 3 is that the same thing as PCI Express x16 3.0 which is a requirement of the new graphics card? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Yes.

There are other issues involved when upgrading a graphics card:

1. Will the new card fit in the chassis and motherboard?

2. Will the existing HP power supply work with the new card?

3. Does your PC have a UEFI BIOS? You're running Windows 8.1. Your PC should have a UEFI BIOS.

4. You must disable Secure boot and enable Legacy support (Link) before you install the new graphics card.

5. Uninstall old graphics drivers before installing the new graphics card.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thank you very much for the reply. Some of your suggestions i know the answer to and some i don't so I will give you some background and answer your recommendations.

This computer came with Windows 8 which I upgraded to Windows 8.1. When Windows 10 came out i upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 10 crashed and Microsoft could not recover it and told me I had to reinstall Windows 8 which I did and then reinstalled Windows 8.1. Having such bad luck with Windows 10 I decided not to reinstall Windows 10. 

Now fast forward to today, I want to download Adobe Photograghy CC which requires Windows 10 and a Movie is GTX 1050 graphics card with 4gb of memory or more. So I purchased an Nvidia GTX 1660 Super card with 6gb of memory. I am currently reinstalling Windows 10.

1) I am pretty sure the card will fit but I did not want to try unless I was sure my PIC slot was a 3.0 slot which I now know it is. Thank you.

2) the new graphics card requires 450W's or greater and mine is 460W's so we are good but just barely but I will.not be gaming.

3) the bios i have no idea I did look to see if there was an update and there was not.

4) according to the link you provided since this is an upgrade Secure boot will not be enabled so I am good there but I still need to look into enabling Legacy support.

5) I will uninstall the old graphics driver before installing the new graphics card.

Again thank you very much! I no less than nothing about computers but with some help i can get this done I just need to verify things I am not sure if we i go along

Thanks again'

Harry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.