Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
BTW, at what point would I install a downloaded driver with a malfunctioning OS?
HP Recommended

OK...

I'm assuming that the default drive controller setting is RAID since you set the BIOS to its defaults.

I have zipped up and attached the 64 bit Vista storage controller drivers for the chipset your PC has below.

Download, save and unzip the files to their folder.

Get a USB flash drive and copy the files in the folder to the flash drive (without the folder).

With the flash drive and Vista installation media in the PC, boot from the Vista installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully, Windows Vista will complete the installation.

HP Recommended

Paul, hi:

I wanted to get back to you before it gets too late.

The driver you sent me is installed, and Vista now seems to be actually installing, i.e. it's taking much longer to decompress and install.  This looks like it's actually working, for the first time.  Before I go to sleep tonight I'll either close this as resolved, send you another email, or more likely both.

Thank you again for your extraordinary level of competence and patience.  I wish you the best!

Larry

HP Recommended

Anytime, Larry.

Yeah, I am going to hit the rack myself now.

Hopefully Vista will install this time around.

If not, we will try an experiment to clean install with the W7 upgrade disk without having Vista install.

HP Recommended
I got the same message, it isn't installing.

That's enough for tonight, I think.

I'll be installing from a Windows Pro ISO file, and can use Rufus to install from my flash drive, or via DVD via ImgBurn. Or something else you recommend.

Thanks, Paul, goodnight.
HP Recommended

Good morning, Larry.

Sorry that didn't work either.

You can install W7 Pro either way (flash drive or DVD).

You can also use this Microsoft tool to put the ISO file on a DVD or USB flash drive.

But use whatever you are comfortable with to make the W7 ISO file into bootable media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Now if it is an upgrade version with an upgrade key, in order to install it without having a working Vista operating system on the hard drive, read the info at the link below...

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

HP Recommended
Good morning, Paul -

Last night (think 2 AM, LOL) I successfully installed W7 Pro on my HP, first try. I still need to install the drivers from the links you so thoughtfully provided above. I'll do that when I return from work this afternoon. BTW, I did the installation using Rufus to create a boot drive and to copy the W7 ISO. It was a clean install, and I reformatted the Seagate first. I'm not sure what the problem was with Vista (Ultimate), but this will work out better, I think.

I anticipate no further problems, and am almost ready to close this issue. Would you mind if I kept it open just long enough to finish the W7 driver installations?

Thank you.
HP Recommended

Glad you got W7 installed.

Hope you don't have a hectic work day!  I'd be shutting the door to my office and taking a power snooze.  LOL!

Sure, you can keep the thread open, and I will be happy to assist with any driver installation support you need.

HP Recommended
Actually I'm retired, LOL. It's a volunteer thing at a homeless ministry, and I don't go in until noon. My home office is the place where I'll be closing the door when I return!
HP Recommended

That's great of you to volunteer to help the homeless.

Hopefully, we will get your PC up and running in good order.

Here are some tips to cope with the gazillion updates to Windows 7.

1. If you are not at SP1, then download and install the standalone update below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

If your W7 installation already included SP1, go to step 2 below.

2.  Update to the convenience rollup at the link below.  You want to download and install the 3rd file listed.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

That will save you hours of installing updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.