Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

If you use the Linux live OS, without the write blocker, then what do you see?

Workiing on it, thanks for your help...... will let you know.

HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

If you use the Linux live OS, without the write blocker, then what do you see?

Was able to mount it as RO through the write blocker using UBUNTU 14 on a CD.

I was able to get the files off the drive.

Do you know why this happens?

I have literally done this same thing 100's of times without issue.

Thanks for all your help!

HP Recommended

Windows will be picky about opening or allowing to even see files that come from another drive/computer.  That is why I mentioned a Linux Live cd because Linux seems to find and give the user the ability to move/copy the files most every time.  And a Live CD does not make any changes to the host.

Glad it worked out.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

Windows will be picky about opening or allowing to even see files that come from another drive/computer.  That is why I mentioned a Linux Live cd because Linux seems to find and give the user the ability to move/copy the files most every time.  And a Live CD does not make any changes to the host.

Glad it worked out.

Thanks again!

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Glad to help!

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

Thank you.  Glad to help!

Interesting tid bit. 

So I attached to the drive, using a write blocker with a Ubuntu 14 CD.

After I retrieved the files I needed, I rebooted back to windows.

Windows could NOW see all the files on the hard drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I told ya Windows can be picky.  It seems to some it works and others, no.  No rational explanation except I usually do not let Windows even try and go straight to Linux.  It works for me, so I do not even try Windows first.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.