Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion all in one B series

Hi there. Have an odd issue. my computer was plugged in and sitting on my kitchen table as we just moved into our home. of all things, my roomba accidentally unplugged my computer while it was on. plugged it back in and tried to restart it. it now will NOT connect to or even show an wifi network of any sort. try running diagnostics and the whole nine to no avail. additionally the start menu doesnt want to open at all.  I have to shut down via locking the screen. I even attempted to to 'restart' windows explorer.' no help. i can open files and what not. basically anything on my desktop. but reinstalling anything or checking for updates obviously doesnt work as i have no internet. anyone have any leads as to what it might be. or is my only option taking it in to a service center? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@josemgardner 

Sudden power disconnects will cause a system crash and that can seriously corrupt the underlying Windows file system.  Sometimes, repairs work -- but more often than not, they do not.

There is something known as a Repair-Install in which you use Windows Media to reinstall just the OS, and that will repair the file system as well as any damaged system files.  But to do that, you have to do the following:

1) Figure out exactly what version and build of Windows you are running by  entering "winver" (without the quotes) in the search area and writing down what the window displays

2) Use that information and the instructions in this thread to download an ISO file from Microsoft:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Getting-older-builds-of-Windows-10-from-Micro...

3) Use RUFUS utility to create Windows boot media from that ISO file. You can get RUFUS from here:  https://rufus.ie/

4) Insert the Windows 10 USB stick into your PC (do NOT boot from it), find the folder containing the media, select the setup.exe file, right-click that and select Run as Administrator.  This will start an in-place Upgrade which could then take a couple of hours to complete.

5) If you are presented with a window asking for a product key, down near the bottom is a entry you can click to skip that. Do NOT enter a product key, as it will reuse your existing key and when you finish and get back online, Windows will automatically activate.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

wow that is tremendous! thank you so much! any chance youcan tell me, does this wipe the info on my computer? (i.e. docs, pics, etc). or if I do this, everything on the hard drive should still be good to go? 

thanks,

Jose 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.