Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP NOTEBOOK 15-ac153ca
My laptop had an update and when it was done, it was telling me my pin was incorrect and I can't reset my password because the email that's linked to my laptop is one that I deleted. I dont even remember the password because I stopped using that email. I only know my pin but its saying incorrect. Please help me i'm so sad right now i dont know what to do!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hktran10

Recovery does wipe out the data, yes.

If the recovery option can access the OS (and your account?), it may ask you if you want to back up your data before the recovery -- should you be offered the option, say yes.

I am not sure (given the odd circumstances) whether there will be issues getting to the (backed up) data later.  But, if asked, do say you want the backup.

Good Luck.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Eventually, when you get the computer to work again, consider using File History to back up your data to an external disk.  File History available on Windows 8 and above.

Reference:

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Section: 

• Windows File History Backups 

Oh, and make a Password Reset Disk next time.  Smiling.

Reference:  

Password Reset Disk

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Hktran10

It sounds like you were using a Microsoft account password login.

See the Microsoft password reset page

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Hi Dragon-Fur,

I can't reset the password of the account I used for my laptop because I deleted that email months ago which I really shouldn't have done. 😞
HP Recommended

@Hktran10

Well, if you don't have access to the computer and you don't have a Reset Disk (you'd have used this if you had it), and you don't have an additional local account on the computer to which you have access (the password) and you have run out of options...

Then you can use your computer's built in Recovery OR use Recovery Media that you (should have) created when the notebook was first set up.

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

Be sure you read the Section on types of System Recovery.

If you cannot use the onboard Recovery and you do not have Recovery Media, then (depending on your Operating System) you can order Recovery Media from HP.

Recovery Media is listed for Windows 10:

HP Notebook - 15-ac153ca (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

I am sorry this happened to you.

You can also contact Microsoft and explain what happened -- you will need some way to provide proof that you should have access to the computer.  Even having removed the specific email, Microsoft may be able to help.. maybe.  I don't know the answer to whether this is actually possible.

If the computer is under warranty and if you wish to do so, contact HP Technical Support to discuss options.

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts -  USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service  – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

HP Customer Support - Product Warranty Check

Good Luck.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Thank you so much. It was a silly mistake to delete my email. I'll try the recover option, I can do that even though I can't log in, correct? Also will I lose all of my things I had in my account on this laptop if I recover?

HP Recommended

@Hktran10

Recovery does wipe out the data, yes.

If the recovery option can access the OS (and your account?), it may ask you if you want to back up your data before the recovery -- should you be offered the option, say yes.

I am not sure (given the odd circumstances) whether there will be issues getting to the (backed up) data later.  But, if asked, do say you want the backup.

Good Luck.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Eventually, when you get the computer to work again, consider using File History to back up your data to an external disk.  File History available on Windows 8 and above.

Reference:

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Section: 

• Windows File History Backups 

Oh, and make a Password Reset Disk next time.  Smiling.

Reference:  

Password Reset Disk

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Thank you so much! I've reset my laptop. You were lots of help 🙂
HP Recommended

@Hktran10

Excellent!

You are welcome.

Let us know if you need anything more.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.