Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP t520 Flexible Thin Client
Other

Hello, I have a problem with HP ThinUpdate. When I try to create recovery on USB drive I have an error "Error: Failed to initialize USB drive layout. Error code:50".  What could be the solution to this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem when trying to create recovery usb with a T510 image. Have tried with multiple USB's and different computers.

HP Recommended

I encountered this issue and solved it by changing the partition table of the USB drive. Essentially, I manually formatted the drive and selected the correct partition table scheme. Then, HP ThinUpdate was able to properly format the USB drive.

The required scheme seems to be "Master Boot Record".

I changed the partition table scheme using Disk Utility on my Macintosh. The following web page might help you do this using a Windows PC instead of a Mac. (E.g. the section "Converting using a command line")...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mb...

HP Recommended

In ThinUpdate there is a choice to recover and format a USB drive. After doing that, I'm able to create a recovery USB-drive. 

HP Recommended

I was able to use diskpart --> list disk --> select disk 1 (USB was 1 for me) --> clean. Then use computer management from windows to format the USB drive using fat32. You can format the drive from diskpart as well if you can remember the commands.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.