tomasz0
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Problem with HP ThinUpdate

HP Recommended
HP t520 Flexible Thin Client
Other

Hello, I have a problem with HP ThinUpdate. When I try to create recovery on USB drive I have an error "Error: Failed to initialize USB drive layout. Error code:50".  What could be the solution to this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
quadro_jog
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem when trying to create recovery usb with a T510 image. Have tried with multiple USB's and different computers.

0 Kudos
function1
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I encountered this issue and solved it by changing the partition table of the USB drive. Essentially, I manually formatted the drive and selected the correct partition table scheme. Then, HP ThinUpdate was able to properly format the USB drive.

The required scheme seems to be "Master Boot Record".

I changed the partition table scheme using Disk Utility on my Macintosh. The following web page might help you do this using a Windows PC instead of a Mac. (E.g. the section "Converting using a command line")...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mb...

0 Kudos
Marwinism
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In ThinUpdate there is a choice to recover and format a USB drive. After doing that, I'm able to create a recovery USB-drive. 

0 Kudos
JrInfoTech
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to use diskpart --> list disk --> select disk 1 (USB was 1 for me) --> clean. Then use computer management from windows to format the USB drive using fat32. You can format the drive from diskpart as well if you can remember the commands.  

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation