Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion a446x
Microsoft Windows XP

I couldn't get computer to boot and am running System Recovery. It's taken almost 2 1/2 hrs. and every min. Or so a popup with "problem in extractiong process" and a different Windows Help file extension appears.  I click ok but is this normal? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JM1CAR 

Somehow, the infamous Factory Reset has taken on the value of an Urban Legend that is a Miracle Cure for any ailing PC. Not only does it rarely fix the PC, if there is an underlying hardware issue with the PC, it will make matters WORSE by leaving the PC in an unusable state.

And -- a really SLOW PC is nearly always caused by failing hardware -- which a factory reset will do NOTHING to fix.

The HP Factory Reset function relies critically on the contents of the Recovery partition being intact. If those contents get corrupted, which can happen either due to hard drive failing or due to Win10 Upgrade from an older OS, the reset simply will not work -- and will TRASH the PC in the process.

So, you go from having a SLOW PC, to having NO PC. That's not an improvement.

To check for hard drive failing, if your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I tried your suggestion but it sent me back the  screen with options to sign in after a Windows problem.  When I selected "Start Windows Normally" I got a message saying I needed to install a Windows file system32 backslash hal.dll.  I dont have a recovery  disk and as mentioned there were error popups during the 10+ hrs. I tried the system recovery. I want to transfer docs. From a DVD to a flash drive but I'm guessing I need Windows to do that. Any ideaa or us it time to recycle it and buy an external DVD drive to use with my laptop?

HP Recommended

@JM1CAR 

OK, if your focus now is to extract files and folders, then you need a working PC and a USB stick to create boot media that will boot your PC so you can connect a different USB stick and copy off stuff.

What MIGHT work is the following:
1) On a working PC, use this link to download and install a free copy of Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Once that is installed, use the option to create a Boot USB stick (Other Tasks --> Create Rescue Media). This creates a bootable USB stick that runs a version of Windows.
3) Boot the PC from that USB stick. To do this, try pressing F9 repeatedly while booting to get a boot drive menu, or press the Esc key repeatedly while booting to get an HP utilities menu, and select the boot menu from that
4) Be patient ... as booting from a USB stick is really, really slow
5) Once in the MR recovery environment, you can then remove the USB stick.
6) Insert a USB stick for holding data and, down at the bottom left of the windows screen are some icons. Select the one on the right to open a form of File Explorer.
7) Use the File Explorer app to locate the files you need and copy them to the USB stick.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I may not have described the issue accurately.  I am trying to boot up this old PC so I can use the DVD  while teleworking.  I can't start in safe mode nor do a system recovery. I just get an error message that says a Windows system 32/hal.dll file is deleted or corrupted. I don't  have an XP disk so can't reinstall that file.  Is there a way to install it via USB or a way to use the PC without XP.  It's an HP Pavilion from 2003 that probably cant run on W7.  Thx. dor your help and patience.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.