Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-281
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Although most here have prob read by now that I've just acquired a new 690 0020 computer. One reason we went ahead and order this was that I was hoping to use the new system to create a system recovery for my older 500 281. I've followed the directions. Tried several options and still the old 500 281 doesn't want to work. I keep seeing a blue screen which says something to te effect that something needs to be replaced and one should press any key to continue. Trouble is, the system reboots and I get the same blue screen once again.

your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired-1

Borrowed Inmage

So I thought it best to see if that I can download the ISo version of win7 from this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Entering all the correct number, I get an error message which says that I need to contact HP as HP was the one whom installed the opsys..

Let me go into more detail about my old 500 281.. the last thunder storm seem to wiped the hard drive clean if this is even passable. Nothing is coming up except that blue screen. I've even tried to create a system recovery USB from my new 690 to use on the 500.. It seems to work.. To a point were no matter what I try, it simply isn't fining any files or folders on the 500 281 hard drive.

I've tried to run a system recovery, entered the BIOs, created a system repair disk etc using what I'm able to create with the new computer, but nothing is working and nothing is on this hard drive. Next I attempted the procedure above, which tells me to contact HP as Microsoft page wont allow me to download the ISO or mirror image of Win7. I suspect my last resort is to order a system copy from HP as shown on this page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Pavilion-500-200-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/6667354/...

I just want to make sure, before we spend the $45.00 etc on this recovery disk that it is what we need to recover my old 500 281.. Can anyone verify that in fact this recover DVD/CD is what we need to get my old 500 281 working again.

I'm suspecting that I need to do a fresh install, clean slate, format the hard drive etc with the DVD/CD once it arrives?. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seeing how no one here offered any sort of suggestion on how best to approach this which was to be expected, I spent all day yesterday searching for a mirror ISO of win7 or even win10. I learn that windows offers a media creation tool and attampted to download this direct from Microsoft. However, others have on other sites, have suggested that the creation tool ver 1803 doesn't work and I encountered this several times.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

IMPORTANT: The above link is correct, but we encounted a number of issues trying to create a USB flash drive.

Often when I would plug a 16 GB flash into my new system, the flash working light never came on. Six times I tried the direct link Microsoft ver. Diving deeper, I was able to locate an older Creation tool and was able to down load this. Almost instantly, the tool posted question or how I wanted these USB flash settings.

At that time I selected to send the data to my flash to use for other computers option. I was running on the theory, that if Iw as able to get a mirror of win10 on the flash, I could plug the flash into my old system and attempt a recovery. Approx 1 hour later, the ISO copy was saved on my 16GB flash and was really for use, But would it work.

I ran down stairs, plugged in the flash and turned on the old 500-281, the system started, I was seeing settings images & questions. I was beginning to wonder if this would actually work.. About 2 hours later, win10 was back on my old 500 281 system and was running, but very smoothly. it was time to adjust settings, located drivers from the official HP support page. I was able to down load 9 files direct from HP which the old system was missing.

I started searching early yesterday morning just searching for a cure and ended up getting the system running last night at 7:46 pm the old 500 281 was back up, running and online.. I ran my first windows update and as it had happen on the new system, windows encountered the dreaded 1803 update failed. But I was ready.

Each time I would update or adjust the system, I would create a restore point noting what was done. Restoring the system to almost like new with updated drivers etc. So what or when is Microsoft going to fix this 1803 error issue?..

Moral of this story, if your system ever goes down and you have the windows key, download an earlier ver of the creation tool, create a system or mirror copy of windows onto a flash device, plug the flash into the non-booting system, then reboot. Wait for the prompts and allow some time for the system to readjust. 

If your system is operational, create a restore point, system restore & a system recovery on a 1GB+ DVD or 16GB+ Flash drive. The whole recovery process took us from 3:40 pm till 7:46 pm. The hardest part was locating a media creation tool that actually worked avoiding the 1803 microsoft ver.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Seeing how no one here offered any sort of suggestion on how best to approach this which was to be expected, I spent all day yesterday searching for a mirror ISO of win7 or even win10. I learn that windows offers a media creation tool and attampted to download this direct from Microsoft. However, others have on other sites, have suggested that the creation tool ver 1803 doesn't work and I encountered this several times.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

IMPORTANT: The above link is correct, but we encounted a number of issues trying to create a USB flash drive.

Often when I would plug a 16 GB flash into my new system, the flash working light never came on. Six times I tried the direct link Microsoft ver. Diving deeper, I was able to locate an older Creation tool and was able to down load this. Almost instantly, the tool posted question or how I wanted these USB flash settings.

At that time I selected to send the data to my flash to use for other computers option. I was running on the theory, that if Iw as able to get a mirror of win10 on the flash, I could plug the flash into my old system and attempt a recovery. Approx 1 hour later, the ISO copy was saved on my 16GB flash and was really for use, But would it work.

I ran down stairs, plugged in the flash and turned on the old 500-281, the system started, I was seeing settings images & questions. I was beginning to wonder if this would actually work.. About 2 hours later, win10 was back on my old 500 281 system and was running, but very smoothly. it was time to adjust settings, located drivers from the official HP support page. I was able to down load 9 files direct from HP which the old system was missing.

I started searching early yesterday morning just searching for a cure and ended up getting the system running last night at 7:46 pm the old 500 281 was back up, running and online.. I ran my first windows update and as it had happen on the new system, windows encountered the dreaded 1803 update failed. But I was ready.

Each time I would update or adjust the system, I would create a restore point noting what was done. Restoring the system to almost like new with updated drivers etc. So what or when is Microsoft going to fix this 1803 error issue?..

Moral of this story, if your system ever goes down and you have the windows key, download an earlier ver of the creation tool, create a system or mirror copy of windows onto a flash device, plug the flash into the non-booting system, then reboot. Wait for the prompts and allow some time for the system to readjust. 

If your system is operational, create a restore point, system restore & a system recovery on a 1GB+ DVD or 16GB+ Flash drive. The whole recovery process took us from 3:40 pm till 7:46 pm. The hardest part was locating a media creation tool that actually worked avoiding the 1803 microsoft ver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.