Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5725F Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

What mbps speed can I expect from this ancient desktop?  I am currently subscribed to my local internet provider for 120 mbps and the best test I can get from various websites is 60-65 mbps.  All of our phones and tablets register a speed of 110-118 mbps.  Time to buy a new desktop????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would try one of the Roku's on the 5.0 GHz wifi band since they are close to the router.

You get less interference on the 5.0 wifi band and twice the connection speed.

The downside is the signal strength on the 5.0 GHz band is normally not as good as on the 2.4 GHz band.

But since your devices are that close to the router, you still should get an excellent signal.

Would I replace the desktop PC you have?

LOL, you are asking the wrong guy, 'cuz I am going to tell you absolutely!

Seriously...I think it may be worthwhile because Microsoft will quit support for W7 next year.

Your PC is almost 9 years old.

You're not happy with the 100 MBPS ethernet adapter.

My recomendation would be to make sure you get a PC that comes with a gigabit ethernet adapter (10/100/1000), and I would go with an Intel processor and chipset this time.

They cost more, but IMO they are better than PC's with AMD hardware.

In the meantime, see if updating the ethernet driver to the latest version Realtek has bumps up the connection speed any.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W7 driver at the link below....

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01949110

The fastest connection speed you can achieve with the 10/100 ethernet adapter your PC has is 100 MBPS.

A 60-65 MBPS download speed isn't all that bad from a 100 MBPS ethernet adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!!  When I test my speed connection at my tv thru a roku device, the best I get is 35-45 mbps......would this possibly be because of the roku and not my desktop??

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have the Roku connected via ethernet cable, the max on that would also be 100 MBPS.

I have all of my Roku's set up wirelessly on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, and depending on the signal strength you may get via wireless, those should connect at a max of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, and 150 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

These guys say that connecting the Roku via ethernet is the best way to go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/2i1n63/roku_3_users_wifi_or_ethernet/

I have found that I get better streaming  performance on the Center Ice package from my Roku over the 5.0 GHz wifi band then via the ethernet cable.

HP Recommended

Great info. THANKS !!!!!!  My roku’s are wireless and connected to 2.4 channel....they are located 10 feet from the router with great strength, however, when testing Hulu speed thru roku from Ethernet router, best tv speed is 30-45 mbps......thought maybe the old desktop was slowing down the process ???

Desktop has Ethernet cable to gateway modem/router then wireless roku and hdmi cable to tv.....all is new with gateway being an arris sag 7580-ac.

would you replace the desktop??

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would try one of the Roku's on the 5.0 GHz wifi band since they are close to the router.

You get less interference on the 5.0 wifi band and twice the connection speed.

The downside is the signal strength on the 5.0 GHz band is normally not as good as on the 2.4 GHz band.

But since your devices are that close to the router, you still should get an excellent signal.

Would I replace the desktop PC you have?

LOL, you are asking the wrong guy, 'cuz I am going to tell you absolutely!

Seriously...I think it may be worthwhile because Microsoft will quit support for W7 next year.

Your PC is almost 9 years old.

You're not happy with the 100 MBPS ethernet adapter.

My recomendation would be to make sure you get a PC that comes with a gigabit ethernet adapter (10/100/1000), and I would go with an Intel processor and chipset this time.

They cost more, but IMO they are better than PC's with AMD hardware.

In the meantime, see if updating the ethernet driver to the latest version Realtek has bumps up the connection speed any.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W7 driver at the link below....

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

HP Recommended

Thank you so much !!!  You have been very helpful, I will be purchasing a new desktop in the next few days. 

I am looking at the Dell XPS Tower with the 8th generation Intel Core i3 8100 4-Core Processor, and a Wireless 802.11 AC with BT 4.2 Dual Band 2.4 & 5 GHz.  It's just the wife and I and our computer is basically a storage device we use for e-mails and paying bills.  THANKS Again !!!!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Sounds like a fantastic PC you're getting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.