Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there I have questions about the HP Prodesk 600 G2-T

So I want to use my graphics card but it is too big and requires me to remove the front usb cable...why anyone would design it that way is beyond me, and also had to buy a special cable for video card 15to6 that nobody had in town AUSTIN which is the silicon hills! So had to get one shipped which took over a week and a half...another design I have never seen or understand. 

So what is the work around to get around having front USB option besides buying a whole new video card, which is not needed. 

If anyone has this machine can anyone recommend a video card that fits this design?

Also this rig did not come with hard drive holders/caddy..can anyone tell me the exact caddy I need for this system?

Other then that the machine works great, just trying to make sense of the design, or rather find a way to work around it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

not doing PSU (320watt now)  upgrades and  not needing or wanting complex GPU AUX cable adapters.

the answer is GTX1650 (non SUPER) needs no such cable. this card is fast as you can go at 75watts max. I have one and runs 50 games but not 4k .

that is correct the fastest cards ( using modern TURING class GPU chips,) need more fans to burn off tons of heat 300watts or more like RTX2080 up,  even $1000 cards, 

what you need GPU for I not sure,  3D gaming,  there  is no end of needs there.  for sure .  look up the TITAN card.

GPU selections are based on needs, and goals?

best is to tell the helper first what does no RUN RIGHT now, and needs now and near future the needs, for say Fast 3D graphics..  I play Metro Exodus no problems.

this is first, needs the choices to match needs.

no choices is so complex for sure needs not known.

gaming

huge video rendering projects

CAD

CAM

CAE

and computer modeling.

vast vast needs and possibles.here.

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I guess the question was how to install new GPU card? ( I will post out some facts )

there are 12 makers of cards ! (all very different )

then 10000 cards and  even 100s in one class alone

cards with 1 ,2,3 fans and many with 3 are way too long for most PCs  (but fits HUGE full tower cases)

PC come  in vast sizes,  the smaller the PC the hard it is to fit the most largest of cards.

The Card over 75 watts needs a GPU power AUX jack cable (1 or 2 per card makers spec) or the card does not run at all.

my guess is your PC has no such cables  (and needs a 15 sata  6 pin AUX cards adapter cable. yes, that sure one cure,..

NON  ATX spec PSUs are in most HP PCs Desktops(lacking the 2 AUX cables  that ATX has)

and some HP PCs here have aux cables and some do not, my Z600 has  the cables built in. (case in point)

HP does not document the X16 space in any PC, no OEM does really , but some pro gaming boxes do. like mine.

STep 1 is:

The best path is use a ruler first on the X16 slot then pick a GPU card that fits. (their exact card manual always shows this)

I do hope this helps you sort out GPU choices, no upgrade on any PC is more complex and vast options.  newegg dot com, look.

happy holidays to you.

G1 tower,  the big one not the sff or mini etc. see my red line , this space is very limited, I use a RULER every time. !

g1.JPG

HP Recommended

I understand how to size it lol...I assume the bigger the card the more powerful? I am looking for the smallest most powerful graphics card that would work with this machine. 

And to also find the exact hard drive caddy size so I don't buy the wrong one. 

Man this video card looks massive in this case lol!

It is a nice machine though, actually impressed with its power, just need to find workarounds instead of dropping more money..which doesnt look possible if I want to use the front USB cables. I wonder why they didnt put the USB front cable connection on motherboard near the smaller PCI slots...as you can see in the photo you posted it’s completely in the way lol

Thanks for help!

HP Recommended

not doing PSU (320watt now)  upgrades and  not needing or wanting complex GPU AUX cable adapters.

the answer is GTX1650 (non SUPER) needs no such cable. this card is fast as you can go at 75watts max. I have one and runs 50 games but not 4k .

that is correct the fastest cards ( using modern TURING class GPU chips,) need more fans to burn off tons of heat 300watts or more like RTX2080 up,  even $1000 cards, 

what you need GPU for I not sure,  3D gaming,  there  is no end of needs there.  for sure .  look up the TITAN card.

GPU selections are based on needs, and goals?

best is to tell the helper first what does no RUN RIGHT now, and needs now and near future the needs, for say Fast 3D graphics..  I play Metro Exodus no problems.

this is first, needs the choices to match needs.

no choices is so complex for sure needs not known.

gaming

huge video rendering projects

CAD

CAM

CAE

and computer modeling.

vast vast needs and possibles.here.

HP Recommended

USB question .

I guess you mean the blue 2x15  or so jack just the rear of X16 slot , and cards hit that. clear photos here not easy to find.

I will call the engineer now and ask him.😎

my wild guess is mobo is too small. or case to small for huge mobo.  (cost /size compromise it was)

it can get more complex see that  ram bank hits some GPU cards have 2 heat sinks on both sides and hit, those.

but are very very expensive cards with a HUGE VRAM (huge) heat spreader there, but your PSU can't run those, so is moot.

there are 10,000 cards, only some fit and only 75watt lacking new PSU and GPU AUX cables now missing.

nothing is more complex (in upgrade category)  huge options exist.

newegg.com look in the left side wing for GPU,  huge choices there. (and welcome 100%)

HP Recommended

Hey Savvy I have a couple other questions if you dont mind me asking since you know a lot about computers. I have 32gb of ram, would another 16gb help with VR? So far it works perfectly, but could possibly bog down in games I play in future...also do you happen to know if a USB 3.0 (blue) adapter to create more usb hubs would work in the back of this machine and work equally as fast..or does it need to be hardwired? I know it works with usb 2.0..just not sure about 3.0. 

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.