Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently bought from Amazon Renewed, it has this irritating "Intel Boot Agent" which goes through its routine before Windows boots up. Disk 0 has a "System Reserved" partition just over 1 GB in size, set Active, and the C Windows partition (set not active) contains the Windows 10 OEM OS and is around 229 GB, all loaded onto a 250GB SSD.

If I set the System Reserved partition not active, and the C windows partition active, the PC will not boot, no operating system found.

The BIOS has both UEFI Boot Order and Legacy Boot Order (which has a Network Boot feature) set on. 

If I uncheck Legacy Boot Order, PC will not boot, no operating system found.

This setup leads me to believe the PC has been set up and used as part of a network system in its previous life.

All I am trying to achieve is it working as a straightforward standalone home PC, i.e. disk 0 set active and windows 10 OS loaded directly and booting from here.

My question is, in the BIOS main page, there is an option to "Apply Factory Defaults and Exit"

Will this option completely reset the BIOS settings so that I can load and run Windows on an active "C" partition

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BA55zza 

My guess is that the OS partition on the SSD does not have the boot loader files in it, so it will not boot even if you set it as Active.

But ... if you download and install EasyBCD, you can copy the boot loader files to the SSD and after that, you should be able to boot from it.

EasyBCD is a free boot utility you can get from here: https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Download and install this on the PC where you need to migrate the boot files.

Launch EasyBCD.

Click the BCD Backup Repair button

Under BCD Management Options, click the Change Boot drive button

Click the Perform Action button

Select the New Boot Drive -- where you want to copy the boot files TO

Then click the OK button

NOW, the boot files are on the drive you selected as well as the current drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, I followed your instructions, however the solution did not remedy my problem, but the EasyBCD is one very useful utility which I have no doubt will come in useful in the future.

After many more restarts and bios tweaks, I found I could uncheck the Network (PXE) Boot in the Boot Options menu in BIOS, and then disable Network Boot under the Legacy Boot Order menu.

Saved these settings then went back into BIOS just to check, Network Boot option had gone from the Legacy Boot Order menu.

The PC now boots directly into Windows, saving around 24 seconds boot-up time.

Thank you once again for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.