melodicMystery
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Recovering a Windows 10 product key from a computer

HP Recommended
HP Slimline 270-p043w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently built my own computer, and used parts from the slimline in the build. However, I'm now unable to access the old desktop as the system's components won't boot. Is there any method or form of support I could find to recover the product key, even without access to the desktop or former storage?

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,576 32,476 2,955 7,258
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@melodicMystery 

Basically -- NO.

There are various utilities you could run that would extract the key from the firmware -- but these all require physical access to the PC to run them.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,808 10,804 1,008 3,046
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AS @WAWood states.  However if the "parts from the slimline "do not include the motherboard, then the Windows product key will not be usable for the new build, as it is linked to the hardware. Motherboard in particular.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation