Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavallion Elite HPE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My C Drive stopped booting the computer, saying there was something wrong with the partition (after 10 years of using the machine). I followed the directions for a system recovery, then followed the instructions to partition the disc. After it was finished and had reloaded Windows 7, it was not readily apparent how to get the files restored to my computer. I began manually restoring some of my programs like Windows 10, MS Office, Malwarebytes and a few others. Only THEN did I stumble upon the recovery manager icon. I tried to do a recovery, but after many hours it stalled out. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I had already begun manually restoring the OS and program files? Do I need to do another reformat of C and start the recovery manager when the system is finished resetting?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@rward39571 

You really should NOT have run the recovery -- as with a drive that old, it is almost certainly going to fail.

In addition, repartitioning the drive removed everything on it, including all your data, settings, and applications and there is no simple way now to get any of that back.  If you remove the drive and connect it to a working PC, you MIGHT be able to run some Data Recovery apps that could allow you to recover some personal files and folders, but the settings and applications, including MS Office, are permanently gone from this PC.

When  the HP Recovery Manager fails and/or stalls, that is a pretty solid indication of a failing or failed hard drive..

To check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I know I should get a new computer at this point, but if I were to replace the C drive, which is a Hitachi HDS721010CLA332, are there any suggestions for a new one, maybe larger than 1 TB?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.