Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-068
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to find a USB or dvd copy of windows 10 restore disks or image so I can restore my pc to its original factory setup. The HP system recovery option is greyed out and ive lost the USB drive I had the system restore saved on. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use the cloud recovery tool...

https://support.hp.com/be-fr/document/c06185518

HP Recommended

0920201118.jpg

 Now I have a formatted HD with no OS and a recovery USB drive that doesnt seem to work?

HP Recommended

0920201155.jpg

HP Recommended

The only suggestion I can offer under those circumstances would be to clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the Microsoft media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model...

I'm not so sure you should take the other option of ordering recovery media from HP.  It will cost around $50 and you may get the same error as you got from the cloud recovery tool-created recovery drive.

HP Recommended

What frustrates me is the limitations set forth by HPs proprietary crap. Sure, you can use the recovery feature once before it's greyed out and not useable again. Sure you can upgrade the ram but to,the lowest speed possible because of the limited bios settings locked by HP. Every HP ive had that ive ever done any upgrading or had issues with was never straight forward to figure out. Whats the purpose of HP recovery media if it doesnt work? The problem with using the Windows 10 image file (from Microsoft) is that I loose the factory setup of the system. Thats what I want back....and I think its bull that HP limits a person from doing so once on a system....plus theres no online customer support if your system is out of warranty. Only the forums. *sigh*

HP Recommended

0920201429.jpg

Found the recovery USB drive i had...tried running it. Gets to 97% and loops back to this menu above.

0920201453.jpg

Tried to make a new one using the HP Recovery manager in windows and got this message above.

Trying a Windows 10 media boot drive using another USB drive. Only way ive managed to do this was pulling the HD from an identical system which has a motherboard out for repair. My only other option if the Microsoft media tool doesnt work is to attempt to clone the OS portion of the hard drives or do a separation installation from the 2nd hard drive. PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.