Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a virus and was wondering if I replace the hard drive can I still use the recovery media for this computer or do I need to purchase a new copy of Windows 10 ( 64-bit ) ? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
Sorry, but don't you still want to change the hard drive because you have a virus?
It's not necessary !
There are very good security forums, specialized in disinfection
Otherwise, a simple factory reset will suffice!

Otherwise it depends, sometimes the recovery media created by the user can be used with another hard drive.

no need to buy a license is enough otherwise use the windows iso to reinstall

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

HP Envy model # 750-414

Product # X6F49AA#ABA

Just so you understand, I'm looking to replace my hard drive and I wanted to make sure I could still use the recovery media cd or do I have to purchase a new copy of Windows 10  ? 

HP Recommended

Hi

I suspect neither.

If you buy the same exact model of HDD and clone the existing one, then maybe.

If the PC is less than 3 years old...

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 7 & 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

The recovery method checks the PC and if there any changes it usually will not install.

You do not need to purchase any OS

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Belarc Advisor will print licences, KEYS etc.

HP Recommended

Thank you for answering exactly the question I asked @Gregnco 
Do you want to change your DD just because you have a virus?
I say it again, it is not necessary!
As for reinstalling a new DD I also answered if you made your reinstallation kit, you can try to use it possibly with cloud recovery  the pc is compatible

Otherwise, as indicated just go through the iso windows
Cloning a hard drive with viruses doesn't seem like the best idea to me @Lil_Boy_Blue 

Until then to use its reinstalaltion kit
it was necessary to have exactly the same hard drive, same capacity, if too small, it did not work!
But just test, it costs nothing

to know
that the pc is indicated to have two hard disks
A classic ssd and hard drive

750-414 PC Product Specifications

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.