Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-1010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

According to Norton  I have  7 Registry issues namely:

Unused software keys

Invalid communuication references

"           File references

"            "    Type Associations

"         Auto run programs

Which means nothing to me.

Of course if I cross their  palms with $$  ( on top of my $$ Anti virus ) it will be taken care of.

The PC is working ok though despite  the doom and gloom from Norton.

Is there anyway I can deal with these myself, if somebody can furnish me with a numbered procedure in plain English.

The removal of cookies and fluff files, defrag  etc I was able to deal with through Settings, though why they had to change a good system with Win 10,  it had been working well for 20+ years I don't know.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

The register is something fragile, the user should not touch it.
We can say that it is quite rare, but an error risks causing more or less serious problems.
For quite some time, it has become a fad, cleaning the registry, off, it is practically useless!
moreover, the software detects certain problems, but this is not at all effective
If you look carefully while browsing through a registry, after having "cleaned up the errors", we see that many keys, of software which no longer exist, are still present.
So it's up to you, but leave it alone!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

The register is something fragile, the user should not touch it.
We can say that it is quite rare, but an error risks causing more or less serious problems.
For quite some time, it has become a fad, cleaning the registry, off, it is practically useless!
moreover, the software detects certain problems, but this is not at all effective
If you look carefully while browsing through a registry, after having "cleaned up the errors", we see that many keys, of software which no longer exist, are still present.
So it's up to you, but leave it alone!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you Prométhéé, yes I was aware that the Registry is somewhat fragile, that is why I wrote the post, just to make sure it is nothing serious. I will be leaving well alone as you suggest.

My previous HP which I bought just before lockdown went into shut down mode everytime I turned it on as if it was overheating, it turned out to be a Registry fault, so had to be sent to a HP agent by the shop. They fixed , but between the shop and the carrier returning it to me they wrecked it mechanically, the casing was bent and buckled. After many emails and phone calls to the shop's head office, they refunded my money in full and collected the scrap computer, but not in that order.   

So if I had paid the £59 extra to Norton it would have been wasted money, the other thing added to that which they used to do was remove junk files, after a bit of faffing I found I could do it myself, it was justbfinding where they had hidden the command  screen that they had on Millenium 22 years ago. There have few if any usefull upgrades since then , but they have cut a lot of good programs out.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

hi

indeed, for me an antivirus, must stick to its primary function, to protect against viruses..
And they mostly have a bad habit of doing other things..
Many years ago Norton was known to be a big consumer of resources, well now with that, I'm afraid it's even worse, too many functions in the background, often useless
I gave up these antivirus a long time ago, and I only use the microsoft tool, which is free..
it is indeed my point of view, but i am quite careful, and i have not been infected for more than 20 years , if i do the account, i have certainly made a huge saving, since that time , without paid antivirus!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

That is a fair point Prométhéé, one does wonder if these companies are selling snake oil. And the wasted space they take up in your memory, much the same with Windows.  A new machine may seem to have a lot of storage space, but you need it with the bloatware  and stupid programs you cannot get rid of they add.  

They give you a spine chilling story in their marketing blurb to persuade you   that you need it.  Even with it I haven't had any problems in 22 years since we have had a computer, the odd dodgy email which I have deleted straight away. I don't  do anything financial with the computer, rather go in person to the bank. And I hate having to buy stuff on the internet( usually my last resort as its not in the shops) as you really don't know what you are getting until it comes, then it may not be of the correct quality you expected.

HP Recommended

Yes, a friend said, and it is a truth that I have seen over all these years of trying to help people out.
"The problem most often lies between the chair and the computer"
Yes you are doing well, many people click without thinking on dubious emails..
We never say it enough, if in doubt, do not click, if it is supposedly the bank, call with your usual contact number

See you soon, maybe, if you need don't hesitate..

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.