cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Reinsrtall Windows to get rid of May2020 Window 2004 on my Envy 360 laptop...

HP Recommended
HP I7 Envy x 360 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Somehow I "updated" and installed the May 2020 Windows 2004 on my new laptop.  Evidently this version of the OS should not be on my device.   Drivers began to act up and stop working.  In another thread learned that HP drivers/software may not yet be compatible with this version of OS.  Water under the bridge at this point.

I would like to do a clean reinstall of the Windows OS to the one that is compatible with my device. 

1. How would I go about doing this ?

2. What version of the Windows OS should be looking for ?

3. Once I do a clean reinstall how can I be assured my device will not automatically update to Windows 2004 again since it has been on my machine ?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,347 6,332 602 1,380
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ricardo70 

I would first try the DISM command and SFC command at this site (Link) to possibly fix your problems if you can run Windows. Doing this can sometimes help with a version update. Look, Microsoft should not have pushed version 2004 to your PC if you had incompatible drivers, hardware, or security software.

There is a time limit in which you can go back to the previous version of Windows after a Windows 10 version update. You can find this in Settings, Recovery, Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.

Otherwise you can get previous versions of Windows 10 at this site (Link). Download and run the software. Follow prompts to download the Windows 10, 64 bit, Home version for your HP PC. Probably version 1909??

Now you have to convert the Windows 10 ISO image to bootable USB media. I use Rufus for this (Link).

You probably had Windows 10 1909 installed. I can't say for sure.

Microsoft used to push new versions of Windows 10. I think you can ignore the 2004 update now.

You better back up data if you do a clean install of Windows.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for you help....

I will try a clean reinstall.  When I go to use the Windows ISO down loader it asks what version.  You mentioned 1909 but that is not on the drop down list blow... which of these should I choose to start ?

Ricardo70_0-1597699179022.png

Ricardo70_1-1597699223425.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can disregard previous message .. I found, by trial and error, the November 2019 v 1909 of Windows 10 and am proceeding down load an ISO to my desktop

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation