Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using openSUSE Leap 15.3 on my HP Z640 workstation to pratice setting up a Windows Virtual Machine (WinVM) on openSUSE on a different linux machine.  This has been my first attempt to use a VM on any machine since I stopped using OS2 Warp 4!

For the Windows operating system on the VM I have been using an original Windows 7 Disk.  (This had been installed on a different machine which has long since been scrapped and as far as I am aware the disk is genuine and working.)

Because the VM is to be used in a working environment where One Drive and Office 365 are employed I did a full VM installation including all the updates to Windows 10 and then creating the connections to the Microsoft subscription accounts.  Everything worked as hoped and I confidently assumed I could delete the VM and then do a new VM installation on my IBM office server.  

My problem is that my HP Z640 seems to inform Microsoft that I am still using the OS from the Disk and I cannot get rid of this so cannot build a full valid Windows VM on the IBM server.

Of course the HP Z640 already has a Windows 10 installation installed from new with the HP and this is what I am running now to type this.

Please could somebody help me untangle this mess, remove all traces of my Windows 7 sourced installation and yet not damage the HP Windows 10 which came with the Z640.

Grateful for any help which can be offered.

Many thanks,

Budge

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.