Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 200-009
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hello,

My warranty is over few months ago and I need to replace my HDD which is useless as all the space is taken by OS, I can't even upgrade to Windows 10. Would you please help me how to recover my Windows key and HP drivers before changing my HDD + any tips on replacing HDD would also be helpfull. There are no HP service around here so I have to do it myself.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you , I finally solved the problem by creating a Windows recovery drive and chosing the reset and partition under advanced options. Finding Windows key and using Windows image didn't work with the OEM version of Windows.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

naimation

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about replacing your drive and drivers and wanted to help.

Unfortunately, the HP site is lacking in details specs for your PC, so I can't tell from the site whether your PC came with an SSD, an M.2 SSD, or an HDD.  You would have to take it apart and look at the drive to see what it is.  Here is a document from HP with instructions for doing that:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717072

Also, here is a page from the Crucial site which you might be able to use to check the PC for you: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-stream-200-009-mini

As to restoring the OS and drivers, what you need is something known as HP Recovery Media.  However, the HP product page for your PC shows only Win8.1, not Windows 8: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Stream-Mini-200-Desktop-PC-series/7538679/model/7...

You would order the Recovery Media using the link at the bottom of the page Order Recovery Media:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Stream-Mini-200-Desktop-PC-series/7538679/model/7...

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so much.

My PC came with an SSD and I got a new one.

I cannot buy HP recovery media as I am not in US, but thanks to your suggestion and following the keyword yo provided I found an article about how to Create a set of recovery discs. I will give it a try later.  

But  if it doesn't work it would be good to find a way to access my Windows key at least ( there is no windows key sticker on the product)  and to create a Windows recovery, if  you have any idea about how to do that would you please let me know? 

HP Recommended

To retrieve your product key, use this tool: Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you , I finally solved the problem by creating a Windows recovery drive and chosing the reset and partition under advanced options. Finding Windows key and using Windows image didn't work with the OEM version of Windows.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much again 

I thought I had to write and try to explain -as much as I can -how I solved the problem after reading your replies and other forums. 

I did this in order to change the SSD ( hardisk) on an HP stream with 32 GB disk, and upgrade it to 128 GB. 

A- Changing SSD was easier than I thought: I just found a right size small screwdriver, opened the back of the PC. After that I took out the old SSD from its slot and put back the new one.

B- The problem was my HP stream didn't come with Windows disk or Windows serial number and I didn't know how to reinstall Windows after changing the SSD. 

Creating a Windows installation media , finding my Windows serial with suggested tools and trying to reinstall Windows didn't work. Windows didn't accept that serial.

C- I found that things are bit different for preinstalled Windows PC's or OEM. 

Finally this is almost how I solved the issue.

1-Follow the link to create a recovery drive on a USB and please read the quoted information before using this method:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-update/advanced-repair-tools-create-a-usb...

"

Summary

The USB Recovery Drive in Windows 8.1 can help you access the Advanced Repair Tools and troubleshoot and solve problems with your Windows 8.1 installations.

Details

Important Information

• The USB Recovery Drive cannot be used for reinstallation of your current Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 installation. However one exception to this rule is, if your system came preinstalled with Windows (OEM) then you will be able to do this.  

"

2- 

I inserted recovery drive USB and restarted my PC. Following the first options on the blue hp screen , I selected 'advanced' option and chose recover, later I had to select partition- it didn't work without partition as I am not an expert I tried again with partition disk option.

After that Windows installed without asking me Windows serial, it was almost like a factory reset as I had to reinstall language options etc. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.