Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy h8-1590EA
Other

Hi.

I have to change a hard drive(completely dead), Fitted a SSD but can't load win 10 from USB stick I get an error notice about machine restarted ??? I need to reset the bios/cmos but the site info shows a 6 pin setting and mine is a 8 pin (with one missing) site shows pin numbers but my board doesn't, its a Pegatron IPMMB-FM formosa.

Any idea please ????

Geoffme0

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I would pull and replace the CR 2032 MB battery. Let the PC sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before you install a new MB battery.

This will reset CMOS.

This item is just below the PCIe x16 socket.

Your PC is about six years old.

Recheck the HDD. You may be able to recover data from the disk. The disk might still be okay.

You may have a MB problem if you had replaced the MB battery recently.

Regards

HP Recommended

You shouldn't need to reset CMOS to load Win10. If you're trying to install version 1903, then you're BIOS need to be able to boot as UEFI, otherwise you'll get an error about no boot device or something.

If you're bios doesn't support UEFI, then you'll need to install an earlier version of Win10, such as 1803 then upgrade to 1903 once it's installed.

HP Recommended

GRZWACZ Thank you so much, I've been playing with comps. for 40+ years and forgot that removing the M/board battery will reset the bios, the jumpers on my MB don't look anything like diagram on the HP site and the bios was obviously in a tangle (F 11 wouldn't work,could not boot from USB stick,graphics collapse to colored stripes) all fixed with battery removal and shorting contacts, win 10 loaded with a hitch.

The only problem I have now is when I fit a GPU board(PCIe x 16 socket) I get 6 long bleeps and no graphics, tried 2 boards both give the same results .

HP Recommended

Hibb1. Thank you for your reply, I did need to reset the bios because to would not respond as it should, I did not know that you can't load 1903 to a standard bios setting(thank you for that) but it defaulted to UEFI anyway, and after removing the MB battery all was corrected.  

HP Recommended

Hi Geoffme0,

You're very welcome.

I think you need to disable Secure boot (Link to HP document) and enable Legacy support to use a different graphics card.

Look at "What if the PC does not boot properly after installing new hardware".

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.