Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have a HP desktop, and I tried turning it on today, but it would not load past the login stage. So kept resetting the computer. Eventually it would have a blue screen with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some errir info, and then we'll restart for you" and it also said "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Ntfs.sys". It then started running diagnostic and when that finished (took 10 mins), I was able to log in, but none of my files were available. But they were still located in the Harddrive (Windows C:), but all my apps and programs were uninstalled. I then installed some programs. When I try to reset the computer and log back in everything is gone again, but the files are there but in a different username ... Looks like it is creating a temporary desktop 

What  is happening and how to do I fix this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It really depends on what you did when "kept resetting the computer"

It sounds to me that the method that was used to "reset" either disabled the user account or added another.  Especially when "the files are there but in a different username"

Try opening the "Accounts" area from the "Windows Settings" page and report back with what is displayed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I can see my usual profile, and there are some temporary ones e.g. Temp.desktop

I have beem trying to follow along with some youtube videos on how to delete temporary profiles (e.g. going into Regedit -> Windows NT -> remove .bak, reset etc) but it is not working!!!

HP Recommended

When Windows starts, are you in the proper account now or still not the normal user account?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi again, no everytime I log in there is a new temporary account and can't access the real one.

HP Recommended

There is another Administrator account that is hidden.  This post will show you how activate it and also give some tricks to fix your problem.

https://appuals.com/temporary-profile-issues-in-windows-10/

It looks like at the end of that post they are try to sell some software.  Check it out and I'll leave using that or not up to you.

If all this does not fix the problem, I would just start over and reinstall Windows 10, assuming that is what you have.  You did not mention what OS.  If you have files or photos that you wish to save, move them to a different media before reinstalling Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.