Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 

Greetings!

Backdrop:

I had bought the HP pavilion notebook pc laptop with windows embedded in it from an onsite seller (genuine HP seller).

It was windows 8/8.1 then and i got it upgraded to windows 10. All was going good until recently i gave my laptop to a friend of mine. He has run some softwares or some unauthorized keys, which is now showing me to "Activate Windows".

Q1. How can i get my previous windows OS key so that i can legalize my copy of windows OS?

Q2. Once i get the key by the virtue of answer to the Q1 above, will my system continue with windows 10 or will it downgrade to Windows 8/8.1?

Thanking you for the assisstance in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I had bought the laptop with windows embedded in it from an onsite seller (genuine HP seller).

> It was windows 8/8.1 then and i got it upgraded to windows 10.

When Windows 10 was first activated, you were granted a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows at any time, at no cost, onto the same computer.

> All was going good until recently i gave my laptop to a friend of mine.

> He has run some softwares or some unauthorized keys, which is now showing me to "Activate Windows".

Can you use "System Restore" to time-warp your computer back to a date before he mucked with it?

> Q1. How can i get my previous windows OS key so that i can legalize my copy of windows OS?

First, when you do try to activate, does it activate, or do you get an error-message?

Second, from a command-line prompt, what do you get from the command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

???

Third, there are free utilities to "peek" into the motherboard, to extract the original Windows 8/8.1 product-key.

> Q2. Once i get the key by the virtue of answer to the Q1 above,

> will my system continue with windows 10 or will it downgrade to Windows 8/8.1?

If the activation is successful, then the currently-installed Windows 10 will be activated -- not Windows 8/8.1.

If the (hidden) "System Recovery" partition on your disk-drive is still intact, and you run "System Recovery", then the original factory-loaded operating system, namely Windows 8/8.1, will be installed.

But, you can leverage your entitlement to upgrade to Windows 10.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I assume you took the free upgrade? If so you have free lifetime reinstallation rights with a digital key stored on MS servers.

Microsoft provides the free Media Creation Tool to download files and create a Windows 10 usb flash drive. At least 8gb flash drive required:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select Download tool now, and select Run.
If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.
-------------------------------
When the flash drive is prepared insert it in a usb port. Power on the laptop and immediately start tapping Esc key. From the menu tap F9 key and use the arrow keys to move to and select usb. Tap Enter key.
When installing choose Custom and delete each partition. Continue with installation.If it asks at any point for license/product key just choose "I don't have a key". It will continue and should activate once you are online.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

> I had bought the laptop with windows embedded in it from an onsite seller (genuine HP seller).

> It was windows 8/8.1 then and i got it upgraded to windows 10.

When Windows 10 was first activated, you were granted a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows at any time, at no cost, onto the same computer.

> All was going good until recently i gave my laptop to a friend of mine.

> He has run some softwares or some unauthorized keys, which is now showing me to "Activate Windows".

Can you use "System Restore" to time-warp your computer back to a date before he mucked with it?

> Q1. How can i get my previous windows OS key so that i can legalize my copy of windows OS?

First, when you do try to activate, does it activate, or do you get an error-message?

???

Third, there are free utilities to "peek" into the motherboard, to extract the original Windows 8/8.1 product-key.

> Q2. Once i get the key by the virtue of answer to the Q1 above,

> will my system continue with windows 10 or will it downgrade to Windows 8/8.1?

If the activation is successful, then the currently-installed Windows 10 will be activated -- not Windows 8/8.1.

If the (hidden) "System Recovery" partition on your disk-drive is still intact, and you run "System Recovery", then the original factory-loaded operating system, namely Windows 8/8.1, will be installed.

But, you can leverage your entitlement to upgrade to Windows 10.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Hi CherylG

Thank you for taking time out and for proposing the solution. Due to time constraints, i sought to a shorter path. Went ahead with the below post and it worked.

Appreciate your help 

Thanks

UnPanda

HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen

Thank your for proposing the solution

i tried the below highlighted steps and it worked like a charm. Can't thank you enough. 

"

Q1. How can i get my previous windows OS key so that i can legalize my copy of windows OS?

"

Thanks

UnPanda

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.