Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Restoring Windows after replacing the boot drive.

Pavilion All -in-One 23-q114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The hard drive died on my HP. i replaced it and purchased recovery media from HP. I boot my computer and receive the following error: "This computer is not supported by the System Recovery Media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these media." I click on About on the error dialog box and receive this: "Recovery Media Y63SKU #ABA1 Computer M9Z60AA#ABA" It looks like HP sold me the wrong product but this is all they list on their website. Any help is appreciated.  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,473 107,654 17,059 26,115
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

If the HP recovery media isn't working, use the media creation tool on another Windows PC to create bootable installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-23-q100-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series-to...

I would then contact HP and see if you can get a refund from the non-working recovery media.

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. Will the media creation tool work on a blank hard drive? I have the PCs serial number from the back of the unit but there isn't a key sticker anywhere. I was hoping the HP recovery media would help with this. It's my fault for not making a recovery disk when I bought the PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're very welcome.

Yes, the media creation tool will work on a blank hard drive.

The Windows product key is in the BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall W10.

W10 won't even ask for a product key because it will detect the key in the BIOS.

Microsoft has required all PC manufacturers to put the windows product keys in the BIOS ever since W8 came out.

No more product key stickers like there were with W7 and older versions of Windows.

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Great! Off to the store to get a USB drive. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation