Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2260xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

HP Pavilion Desktop PCTG01-2000i Running Windows 11.  No special programs or uses.  Use machine for letters, maintain a few spreadsheets, view and edit a lot of pics, document filing.  The slowness is not constant.  The machine will be slow for a few hours and then get back to normal speed for 5 minutes and then go pack to slow.  When watching pictures I get the message LOADING for a second or half a second as the picture is opened.  Average file size for pics is 350kb to 450kb.  The word projects are bigger but not a whole lot.  The XL files tend to run about 2900kb to 4300kb.   Another oddity - related? - the machine is loosing audio sometime each day but not when I'm using headphones.  Ideas?  Main disk memory 231 open 244 used.  All the files on my machine I work with are on a secondary large (1 ter) drive connected to the desktopm.  It is also divided between half full and half empty - 509 open 432 used.  Need more information, just ask.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You apparently use an external drive for your primary data storage, so I would disconnect that, reboot the PC, and see if the slowdown and speedup cycles still happen.  If they do, it is not the drive.

If they do, go online and search about restarting in SAFE mode, which will eliminate loading your startup programs, and see if the slowdown and speedup cycles still happen.

If they do, then is is not drivers or startup apps, and the only thing that then comes to mind is disconnecting from the Internet to rule out Windows Update issues.

If they do not, then you have to go through the tedious process of disabiling/enabling the startup apps one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.