Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My comany is purchasing HP EliteDesk 800 G2, some comes with HDD and some with SSD.

We deploy Windows 7 x64 using SCCM using legacy boot.

On a machine with HDD installed I can configure the boot options to use legacy boot, but when I replace the disk to a SSD drive the only boot option for this drive is UEFI.

That causes the deployment to fail because the drive need to be partitioned as GPT.

On the other hand, if I disable legacy boot, PXE boot to UEFI and partition the disk as GPT, after the image deployment the disk is unable to boot with 0xc000000d error (I imagine the cause is Windows 7 support becuase it does work on Windows 8.1).

Bottom line, I can install Windows 7 on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 only if legacy boot is enabled and I partition the disk as UEFI.

Is there any way of forcing the SSD to boot as legacy and not UEFI?

Is this issue caused by the workstation or is it enforced by the SSD?

Thanks

alexsunny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@alexsunny123 wrote:

Hello,

My comany is purchasing HP EliteDesk 800 G2, some comes with HDD and some with SSD.

On a machine with HDD installed I can configure the boot options to use legacy boot, but when I replace the disk to a SSD drive the only boot option for this drive is UEFI.

That causes the deployment to fail because the drive need to be partitioned as GPT.

On the other hand, if I disable legacy boot, Ometv Chatroulette Omegle Bazoocam PXE boot to UEFI and partition the disk as GPT, after the image deployment the disk is unable to boot with 0xc000000d error (I imagine the cause is Windows 7 support becuase it does work on Windows 8.1).

Bottom line, I can install Windows 7 on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 only if legacy boot is enabled and I partition the disk as UEFI.

Thanks

alexsunny

thanks my issue has been fixed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Maybe the following Intel Technology Brief may provide some insight (Link).

My take on this is you need a supported operating system. W7 needs drivers. You need the BIOS UEFI boot option active and GPT to boot to an NVME M.2 drive. I have run W7 on an NVME M.2 drive, as the boot device, using the previous parameters.

It appears a Legacy W7 setup using MBR is not going to work when using a NVME drive as a boot device.

Regards

HP Recommended

@alexsunny123 wrote:

Hello,

On the other hand, if I disable legacy boot, Ometv Chatroulette Omegle Bazoocam PXE boot to UEFI and partition the disk as GPT, after the image deployment the disk is unable to boot with 0xc000000d error (I imagine the cause is Windows 7 support becuase it does work on Windows 8.1).

Thanks

alexsunny

thanks my issue has been fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.