Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF0135t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF0135t for a small organization which uses software highly dependent on using the F1 through F12 function keys.  Due to computer illiteracy of many using the computer, I need to default those keys to be F1 through F12 and not the multi-media functions.  (I immediately knew this would be an issue when I unfortunately saw the included keyboard had the F1 through F12 in tiny font and the multi-media functions were in larger font.  Which means we won't be using the included keyboard, but will use our old keyboard which has F1 through F12 prominently displayed on the keys.)

1.  Is there any way to default all 12 of those keys to act like F1 through F12?  I checked the BIOS (version 86E9 vF .05 10/09/2019) and found nothing I could change regarding these function keys.

2.  If I can't default the keys in the BIOS to F1 through F12, can I change it in some way after the computer starts up?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@budh9534 

You should check out a free key mapping utility known as SharpKeys to see if it will allow you to remap the keys the way you want.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I saw the response below to another post which strongly implied that this was not changeable in the BIOS, but it seems perhaps that the keyboard being used might solve the problem.  Can I use the steps below to change the keyboard which came with my HP Slim Desktop by sending it in and obtaining a different replacement (more traditional) keyboard which will have F1 through F12 (or at least F1 through F11) as the default meanings for the keys?

--------------- quote below from different post -----------------

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.