Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-af123cl Windows10 touchscreen 1 TB hddr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Notebook - 15-af123cl Touchscreen Notebook Windows 10

One tb hard drive. 6gb ram. Amd- A8-7410APU WITH R5 GRAPHIC 2.20GHZ TOUCH SCREEN

Error Code - Smart Hard Disk 1 (301) 3f1

I went to f2 to run checks memory, quick drive check and extensive check .  OS not found? I powered down restarted, f10 to check bios settings, enable virtual, exit and saved, entered code still no OS requested disk to load OS?

Can you help explain what may be going on? Some fourms state I need to replace hard drive? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Usually this failure ID indicates that your HDD has failed and needs to be replaced, or there's an issue with the SATA controller on the board. There's a really great topic about how to troubleshoot this error, so if you want you can take a look:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-quot-Hard-Disk-3F0-BootDevic...

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Usually this failure ID indicates that your HDD has failed and needs to be replaced, or there's an issue with the SATA controller on the board. There's a really great topic about how to troubleshoot this error, so if you want you can take a look:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-quot-Hard-Disk-3F0-BootDevic...

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi there !

Please install the Segate hardware firmware and have a check. That should fix the issue.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71578.exe

Regards, 

Swathi Nagesh 

HP Inc.

Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question.

I am an HP employee, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info can you repost yhe complete address on how to troubleshoot the error.  thanks 

HP Recommended
The computer pauses and displays the following SMART error during start up:
SMART Hard Disk Error

This error is being logged due to a glitch in the drive firmware. It is not due to an actual problem with the hard drive; there is no physical damage or data corruption issue.

You will have to clink on the link sent below and the .exe file will be downloaded.

Next you must run the .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the firmware successfully. 

Ans also make sure to restart the unit after the installation has been completed. 
Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question.

I am an HP employee, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info unfortunately I can not boot up the notebook to get to the internet to download the firmware.  Is there another way to copy and install??

HP Recommended

May I know if you have tried re-seating the SSD ?

Does a known good SSD boot with this unit ? 

Also try holding on the power button for 30 seconds and relase. If the unit is still not able to boot it seems to be an hardware  issue with the SSD. You can raise a ticket to get the SSD replaced.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info unfortunately I can not boot up the notebook to get to the internet to download the firmware.  Is there another way to copy and install??

HP Recommended

OK Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.