Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-p0xxample: Pavilion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just as title says,,, will not let me rename desktop folders or files.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Would like to help you but you are not providing a specific HP product number.

Are you using Windows as an Administrator? User accounts may have problems renaming Desktop items created by a different Administrator account.

And, what Desktop folders and files are you having a problem renaming. Why do you want to rename these items?

Any Desktop files or folders you create should allow changing the name of the respective Desktop item. Some Windows System Desktop items cannot be renamed.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello...

I have a HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-p0xx Product numver : Z5N91AA#ABA.

Renaming is not with the computer but with windows 10

For instance.... make a folder on destop... the name comes up a  NEW FOLDER.

If I try to rename it as TEMP-DESKTOP... It get... "Can't find the speciified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

Dumb me tried C:\Desktop but nope.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you using a Windows  Administrator account? Check Control Panel, User Accounts to see the type of account you are using.

Try naming the folder "Temp", or "Stuff", or "Data" without the quotes.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes sir,,, control panel says Windows  Administrator...

Create folder (ok)... it's name is new folder... I rename it My Stuff... I get... "Can't find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

Even tried renaming it... C:\desktop\My Stuff but I will not let me put the  "\" in...

Thanks for all the help... no big deal... just got my mind confused and working!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

How are you creating a Desktop folder?

I right-click, select "New", then select "Folder" from the context menu, then name the folder.

It just works.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.