Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170m CTO

My son (11yo) decided to run some key combination he found online and has basically rendered his pc useless.

He says he held down the Windows key + b key and the screen went blank with error message saying no signal. He and his dad have tried troubleshooting the cords and all work fine as well as the monitor. Does anyone know what he’s done and how to undo it? We’re at a loss. 

General specifications

System features

Chipset
AMD B550A
Form factor
Customized
Dimensions and weight

Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
6.12 x 11.97 x 13.28 in
Package dimensions (W x D x H)
19.65 x 15.75 x 11.3 in
Weight
13.14 lb
Package weight
18.08 lb
Communication features

Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Expansion features

Video connectors
1 HDMI-out 1.4; 1 VGA
Expansion slots
2 M.2; 1 PCIe x16; 1 PCIe x1
Memory card device
HP 3-in-1 memory card reader
Media devices

Audio
5.1 surround sound
Memory

Memory Slots
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Kimber2020,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Please try the instructions as provided by @Lil_Boy_Blue in this link: Followed the windows button press and B press with the power... - HP Support Community - 7342633.

Hope this will resolve your problem.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Yes we’ve tried the steps as listed in that post with no success. It appears the keyboard isn’t functioning properly either now so I’m not sure if it’s being recognized by the pc

HP Recommended

@Kimber2020,

If you have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, move its transceiver dongle to a different USB port.  If you have a wired keyboard, move its USB cord to a different USB port, and see if that makes a difference.  Also, if you have a wireless keyboard, make sure that its battery/batteries is/are not dead.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

None of the ports appear to be working since we’ve tried moving the keyboard to all available ports with no luck. We’ve also tried using a different keyboard entirely. None of the keyboards are functional when plugged into any port on the pc

HP Recommended

@Kimber2020,

Since the warranty of your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170m CTO has likely (just) expired (please verify), if this was my PC, I would try a CMOS reset first, as shown here: Replace the Restore CMOS to Factory Settings | HP Slim Desktop S01-aF0000, S01-aD0000 | HP - YouTube.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Yes the warranty just ended two months ago making this extra frustrating. How is it possible to brick a computer using two keys? I will definitely not purchase another HP if the quality of the product is this poor - lesson learned.

The keyboard is non functional however other peripheral devices worked when plugged into the same port (light up mouse pad works). Why could that be happening? We can’t try any of the recovery key combinations since the keyboard is not recognized. Is there any work around there before we try resetting the battery on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

@Kimber2020,

I'm afraid not: you used the term "bricked", and that was exactly what I was afraid of had happened.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.