Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-254na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to buy the HP Pavillion 550-254na Desktop but need to know that I can fit an Aditional Hard Drive from my existing XP machine that has all my data on it and only my data. I need to know that there is an additional Bay and the necessary SATA and power connections, not the cables.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Capture.JPG

Do you see that the '1' points to two different locations?

The '3' points to the sockets for RAM.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

jackhewson

Please excuse my comments if you already know this -- but lots of the XP-era PCs only had IDE drive connectors, not SATA.

The new PCs only have SATA connectors, not IDE.

So, if the drive in your XP machine is IDE, it will be difficult to mount in in the new PC unless you can purchase a SATA-to-IDE adapter.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

>  [can I] fit an additional Hard Drive from my existing XP machine that has all my data on it and only my data.

How old is the disk-drive?  Windows XP was released in 2001.  Your "antique" disk-drive could be of the same "vintage".

To compare, would it be safe to drive an automobile with balding, 15-year-old tires?

I recommend that you purchase an external disk-drive, and backup all your "only-copy" files onto it.

Then, attach that drive to your new computer, and copy all the files onto your new computer.

This gives you *TWO* "fresh" copies (one on the new external drive, and one on the new internal drive) of your valuable files.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but it didn't answer my question, is there a spare hard disk bay in the Pavillion 550-245na desktop. My data disk has a SATA interface and I need to know if it will fit in the new Desktop.

HP Recommended

Capture.JPG

Do you see that the '1' points to two different locations?

The '3' points to the sockets for RAM.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much that answers my question, much appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.